Working Malaysia/Area 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canuck_downunder05

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey,

I'm an instructor interesting in working in Malaysia sometime next year. I am wondering, where and when the best time is to go. Also information on work permits and the logistics of working there? I'm looking for a busy area, opportunity to teach courses, guide and work on liveaboards.

any tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
Carissa

Hi Carissa

Not too many liveaboards in Malaysia. Kota Kinabalu in Sabah has a fair few island/land/resort based dive operations and is the portal to Sipadan. Although dive instructors are in no short supply, if you Google "padi kota kinabalu" nearly all the results will lead you to some or other dive school from which you can enquire.

As for work permits - officially a company has to sponsor you in order for you to get one, but you don't need to do this before you come as on entry, assuming you're Australia, you will get a 3 month tourist visa.

Good luck.

Hey OntheSpot, who are you? i did a few courses for DTW last season. Do you work between Phuket and Kota Kinabalu?

I will check out the place you suggested and get in touch with DC's to see what options are out there. I'm Canadian so I will see what kind of visa's I can score.

How's this month goin? Getting busier in Phuket? I'm missing it there.

Thanks for the tips!

Malaysia is notoriously hard to get work permits in, for expats wanting to work here you need the sponsoring company to first apply for the right to hire you (DP10). After that application, usually two weeks you can apply for the actual work permit (DP11).

In addition to this the company that hires you must have a startup capital of at least 250.000 MYR and your salary must be minimum 3000 MYR per month. There are of course fees linked to the application, the DP10 is about 150 MYR and the actual work permit has a levy attached to it depending on what industry you are working in. All contact with immigration will be in Bahasa so make sure that you have someone with you that can speak the language,

Of course, because of all the bueracracy that is attached the process is rife with corruption, for about 5000 MYR you can be guaranteed a work permit (although diver is questionable). Another alternative is to simply just go there and make a deal with the dive spot and work without the permit.

Sabah/Sarawak has increased the hunt for illegal workers but mostly concentrate on Philipine and Indonesian citizens, as a gwailo you would probably be safe unless a competing dive shop turns you in (hello to bribes yet again).

I'm sorry to sound so negative but I just want to make you aware of what goverment contacts means here...

Get in touch with local dive shops. They will advise on appropriate work permit requirements. Usually requires a trip overseas once every three months. You'll be able to fly into Malaysia on a Canadian passport easily enough.

The seas for the east coast of the peninsula is approximately Feb to Oct - depending on when the rains come in. I don't now much about Sabah.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom