working in / work permit for mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padi_quay

Registered
Reaction score
do i need a work permit to instruct scuba diving in mexico? i am a newly certified owsi from british columbia and now that i'm done i want to travel and work where ever i go to gain experience. i have researched thailand and know that i need a work permit to obtain an extend work visa to stay there.

does anyone know if i need a work permit in mexico or central america to work there; as well, do i need an extended visa?

thank you for taking the time to read this. i am truely quite green to it all so any information or suggestions anyone can provide me would be a great help.

thank you

You will need a permit to work in Mexico. What the form number is and the requirements are beyond me. I am sure that others will chime in or you can try contacting the Mexican Consulate in your part of Canada for an answer.

Hmmm..... I definately would not be here if I were making $20 a day!!! hehe.
You do need a work visa to work in Mexico. Its called an FM3 and generally the easiest way to get it is when you have a job offer already. You actually have to be in the country to process it so nothing you can do from home. I have one friend with an independant free-lance FM3 but those are VERY VERY hard to get. She paid a lot of money to all the right people to get it. Otherwise the normal procedure would be once you have an offer, a lawyer can help get it all together and put in the paperwork. You need to take a Spanish language test in order to work in tourism here. Ok Spanish will usually be enough. Otherwise there are always people that will hire you illegally but I would REALLY advise against that. Here in Playa del Carmen, they do random checks about twice a year, if caught you go straight to a holding cell (unable to collect your things), then straight to the airport and off you go. You can then not enter the country for 5 years. I personally wouldn't risk it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom