Wooly wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vrichardson

Registered
Reaction score
I need a new wetsuit and someone suggested Pinnacle Aquatics because of their merino-wool lining. But I can't help to think of all these scratchy wool sweaters I was made to wear as a kid. Would wool in a wetsuit be itchy, scratchy, and make me smell like a wet sheep? I've read good gear reviews of Pinnacle but anyone have personal experience? Also, what about the peeing factor?

Ditto. It's GREAT stuff. Go to a local hiking or outdoor store and look at a pair of smartwool, or wigwam merino socks. Feels softer than any cotton I've ever felt.

Merino wool sweaters feel like cashmere! They're wonderful! Not itchy or scratchy at all. I have one I handknit for a former boyfriend. Obviously, he never got it!:D And I wear it right over skin whenever I travel to colder climes.

Merino wool is usually the wool that they make the sheepskin lined slippers from as well!

I Have one. Easy on & off, even wet. Very warm. You're gonna love it.

mfalco:
I disagree. I have both Merino and Cashmere sweaters. The Merino ones are way softer.
I'll concede that point! I don't have any cashmere personally! I have a hand-knitted (by me) Aran type sweater. Who needs cashmere!

Merino is also machine washable, so they say, although I always handwash mine. I put way too much effort into that thing to risk it being ruined by my washer!

The Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene is my dream suit! Gonna buy me one when I finish losing all the weight I'd like to!:D

Just tried out my 7mm Elastiprene last week in 65 degree water. Like someone else mentioned I wouldn't know it is wool lined unless someone told me. Smoothest wetsuit I have ever tried on. First time I have dove in Brasil and not felt cold and I usually dive with 8mm rentals here as before I only had a 3mm. I was only person without a hood and was not cold, was planning on using my hooded vest for my second dive but did not feel the need after the first dive with my new suit.
Also I was always used to 60 minute plus dives but once I started diving in the cold waters in Brasil I couldnt handle much more than 45 minute first dives and 30 minute second dives this time both dives were over 60 minutes and both dives my buddy and I were the last back onboard the boat. Did have to fight to get down to 10ft but once the new suit compressed a little had no trouble and ended the tank with 600psi and felt very close to neutral.
Anyway I highly recommend this suit. I haven't tried all different brands of wetsuits but have tried quite a few different ones new and used. Here in Brasil everyone recommends semidry but I didn't feel the need to always wear a hood and I am so far happy with my decision as the water that entered my suit never left and was very warm when I finally took the wetsuit off after my 60 minute plus dives.

Back
Top Bottom