wool sweater under wesuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
A dive boat captain up here in long island told me that before he could afford a drysuit he used to wear a wool sweater under his .7mm. He claims it works great and retains 80% of your body heat. Anyone else try this?

I have found that a badly fitting 7mm is not as warm as a well fitting 5mm. This said, I have used the lycra undershirts with the fleecy lining and this drastically reduces the movement of water in and out of the wetsuit, therefore keeping you warmer.

As for wool? give it a try that is the only real way to find out, it may be a little itchy I reckon.

A long time ago we used to wear panty hose and long johns under 1/4" taylor made wet suits. It made a big difference.

But is it DIR? :wink:

Gary D.

Gary D.:
A long time ago we used to wear panty hose and long johns under 1/4" taylor made wet suits. It made a big difference.

But is it DIR? :wink:

Gary D.

Gary, If the DIR guys are wearing panyhose they have to be black halcyon pantyhose, but, I think they should discuss this in their own forum away from the tender young ears of people on the basic scuba discussions board.

aujax,

I have found that polypropylene long underwear provide an insulating effect. As with wool, it has ability to provide warmth when wet.

If you're a skier like me, you already have the right stuff.

Back
Top Bottom