Woohoo - Finally did it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you be a dive master if you don't know how to swim? ;-)

No. I think for all the DM program, you have to swim a minimum of 400 yards. It is a timed test for PADI (you could theoretically pass even with slow swimming, but would have to make it up in the other 3 stamina test - fin, water treading, and tired diver tow). I think Naui require 440 yards in less than 9.5 minutes or so. It is a swim with nothing but a swim trunk. For YMCA it is 400 yards, I believe.

As the DM program is the precursor to instructor training, you question should really be, would you want to dive with an instructor who can not swim? Or who can not swim well?

No. I think for all the DM program, you have to swim a minimum of 400 yards. It is a timed test for PADI (you could theoretically pass even with slow swimming, but would have to make it up in the other 3 stamina test - fin, water treading, and tired diver tow). I think Naui require 440 yards in less than 9.5 minutes or so. It is a swim with nothing but a swim trunk. For YMCA it is 400 yards, I believe.

As the DM program is the precursor to instructor training, you question should really be, would you want to dive with an instructor who can not swim? Or who can not swim well?

Sorry, man...My attempt at humor was lost on you. I was referring to that silly thread where someone asked if you can dive if you don't swim. In all seriousness, I do want to eventually go for DM, but my swim speed probably is pretty bad, so I'd need to get some coaching I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom