Woo Hoo!!! Another cool experience!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_junkie

Reaction score
Well for most this is no big deal... but since it was only my 8th dive it was a cool experience.

My best friend, who got his OW about 6 weeks ago has never been any deeper than 15 feet. Now this is only because where they did the OW was off the western shore of Lake Huron... it is 15 feet deep forever until you get waaaay out. So, I decided to plan a dive to where I did my OW. Lake Fenton in Fenton MI. Its OK as far as diving goes, but for a couple newbies its great fun. There is a sunk pontoon boat at 25 feet where my class did their skills, and lines leading from it to more small wrecks that are nearby. Most of these are at about 30 feet, so even then it was a thrill for him. I basically took him on the same dive I did for my last training dive, with one exception. My instructor told me about one more wreck that is a little deeper and is good fun for beginners. Its a 30 foot long cabin cruiser at about a 45 degree angle with the bow being the deepest point at 45 feet. Just past the bow we found some other debris from the boat in about 48 feet of water. The dive was lots of fun and set new personal records for the both of us.
Hoooray!!! :cheers:

about--having fun. Be safe, dive often and have fun.

Sounds like a great day. Keep having fun.

Chad

A perfect dive!
Keep it up...
Rick

Sounds like you guys had a great dive, however, who else besides me thinks that it was inappropriate to certify someone in only 15 feet of water? The pool where I did my skills prior to OW was almost as deep as that.

Mel

melfox - Yeah, 15 feet is a little odd for an open water cert., but out where they did it thats as deep as it gets for at least a half mile. I guess its still considered open water...:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone, we really did have a good time. In fact, I was talking to him yesterday and he said his older brother was drooling over the details of the dive. I think he will make time to go with us on our next trip out there.

If this is just the beginning of what diving experiences are like, I cant wait to get into the ocean on a reef, or on a big wreck in the great lakes. I think one of our next local trips will be to this quarry in Ohio (Gilboa) that is set up strictly for scuba and snorkeling. Some of you have probably heard of it, or been there, but theres a big Grumman plane they sunk, a bus, cars, concrete tubes and all kinds of other stuff. The depths range from 20 to 60+ feet on the shallow side, and up to 140 feet on the deep side (The deep side is out of my skill set and comfort area for a long while.. I think I'll stick to the 100 foot limit for now)

Erich :eek:ut:

Glad to hear you had a good time! That is indeed what diving is like...one unbelievable experience after another. I've been on two wreck diving trips this summer, and this weekend I'm heading up to Copper Harbor to dive the Mesquite and a few other wrecks. I can't wait!!!

I went from being afraid in the water to being an absolute diving fanatic - I think I make four or five dives a week now, and I feel withdrawal if I don't get at least a dive a week in.

It is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done in my life!

:D Sounds like alot of fun!!!

If you like that place in Ohio, I was reading they have simular places in athens texas and one in southern Ill. can't remember the name of the town. Its in one of my diving mags.

Wreck dives are great!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom