Women in BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I'm kinda writing on behalf of my wife, for some reason I'm more inclined to do a lot of the research on gear. We're in OW pool sessions right now and she has been working in a conventional jacket BC. She is of stout and "fluffy" proportion and is less than thrilled with the jacket she has been using.

After reading about BP/W here for months I started taling to her about the various rigs and harnesses including the harness packs with wings. In searching the archives I find many references to women using them but no pictires that I can find. She is having a hard time visiualizing what it would be like with all of the conventional gear cliped up and so forth. We're not planning any tecinical diving but doubles are not out of the question probably for range more than depth. Our LDS kinda brushed the idea off as for technical only (he doesn't seem to represent any of the brands) and we will probably have to travel a ways to actually check any out so I'm trying to qualify it as an option. I'm also intersted in going that route.

Any how on to my request.... I was wondering if any of the ladies had pictures they would care to post, point me to or send if they didn't want them posted online.

Thanks,
Pete
spectrum@gwi.net

PM sent!

what kind of pictures were you hoping the ladies would send you?!!

Sounds like your wife might be comfortable in a back inflate BC, still with the padded straps like a traditional BC. Ya know a jacket BC is not the only configuration a BC comes in.

http://snipurl.com/dpiw

I have a bp/w that I recently bought but only after trying all types of BCs. If I didn't get the bp/w I was going with a back inflate. In my OW class I had to wear the LDS' vest style BC, because I wasn't ready to purchase anything at the time. After the class when I'd rent I'd try out different kinds of back inflates to see what I liked. I would even go diving with friends and try their gear out. I wanted to make sure when I bought the BC it was what I would definitely be happy with. Could she just do that for a while? Maybe try some different styles before buying something right now.

If she does want to see a photo of my bp/w I'd be glad to try and attach a photo here. I'm a little challenged when it comes to that but if it didn't work I'd email it to her. Hope my comments help a bit.

Mel

My wife had an Aqualung Malibu that she liked a lot. When I switched over to a backplate a few years ago, she tried it but found it very uncomfortable. The ladies' Malibu was cut so that it didn't squish down the ah, upper chest area.
My Dive Rite harness had a sternum strap that went right across that area. No problem for a guy, but not comfortable for a woman. Without the chest strap, she did not like the fit of the backplate design.
When Abyss liquidated its tech gear inventory, I bought a couple of the soft tech harnesses that mount a backplate inside. This rig had a chest strap that could be mounted in two positions - normal across-the-chest and higher for that it went over the tops of the Hail Mammaries.
Plus it had a cushy pad between her back and the plate. This she loved - with the 5-pound steel plate and her steel tanks, she can skip any extra weight now.
So the traditional Hogarthian rig might not be too comfortable on a normally-endowed woman, although I have seen some pretty skinny gals who wear it with no problems.
The tech harness like the Dive Rite Transpac or the OMS IQ pack might fit her better.

I dive a hogarthian harness and love the way it doesn't feel confining. No straps go across your upper body - the other big plus is that it is infinitely adjustable so a little weight loss or gain is not a big deal.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom