Women divers in Pacific NW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otterear

New
Reaction score
Heya,

I am in training for my first certificate here in Seattle. I am interested in talking with other women divers about general information about scuba diving. Right now I have questions on how to buy a wetsuit and what do I wear Under it! Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

I would usually wear a lycra diveskin under my wetsuit, easier to get the wetsuit on over that. One piece bathing suit under that, something that wasn't going to creep around and be uncomfortable.

I would dive right in and get a dry suit. I dive off Monterey, California and a regular wetsuit still leaves me cold. I haven't dove near Seattle, but my friend that lives there says it's way too cold for her and if she was going to do alot of diving there, she would definitely invest in a drysuit.

Hope this helps,
Janet

I live in the Pacific NW, and definitely second the suggestion to dive dry around here. It's too cold to be comfortable wet. Also, what you wear under your wetsuit will depend on what kind of wetsuit you own and how thick it is. I have a 3 mm Henderson Hyperstretch and it is so easy to get on and off (even wet) that I don't need a skin. Just my tankini and my Henderson and I'm good to go.

The best way to buy a wetsuit is to try on as many different kinds/brands as possible and pick the one that is most comfortable and fits the best. This is why I chose to spend the extra $$ on the Henderson....IMO nobody comes close to the fit and comfort of a Hyperstretch.

Hello there,

If you are going to be doing all your diving around the Pacific Northwest, you may want to consider a drysuit.

But then again, you may be looking forward to warm water diving in exotic locations all over the world - in which case, you'll want a wetsuit. Try on as many as you can at the shops and you can either buy them at your local shop or buy one from an online source as this is often a lot cheaper (I don't know about the US but I bought most of my more expensive gear - BCD, reg, suit - from popular online/mail order places and saved at least 25% what the shop price would have been.

I normally wear just my bikini under the suit. For additional warmth, I've used thermal vests.

Have fun

otterear:
Heya,

I am in training for my first certificate here in Seattle. I am interested in talking with other women divers about general information about scuba diving. Right now I have questions on how to buy a wetsuit and what do I wear Under it! Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Congratulations on taking the plunge, you are gonna love it.

Seattle has some of the best diving in the world (OK, I live here so I am biased... but still, it is great diving) and you will have plenty to see.

As far as exposure protection, maybe the operation you are doing your cert with will let you do a drysuit adventure dive so you could try one out, they are definately more confortable. It is pretty cold around here, during the winter I can't go diving in a wetsuit (Granted, I am a Divemaster so I spend a lot of time sitting on the bottom watching the students which makes it colder), but in the spring and summer I dive in my wetsuit. In my case my core is ok, but my hands and feet just go so numb that I can't take it, but I do know women who go diving here in the winter in wetsuits.

In looking for a wetsuit, keep trying them on until you find one that really fits you. I tried on at least 13 different brands when looking for mine, all womens suits are not made based on the same silluoette (My mind refuses to spell that correctly today), some give more space in the hips, some give more in the chest etc... So some will fit you better then others depending on where your curves are (We ladies come in very different sizes and diameters :10: ). Don't feel pressured to buy one just because it is the only one in the store that kind of seems to fit, find another store and keep trying em on.

I wear a lycra skinsuit underneath, it makes it way, way, way, WAY easier to get on the suit, it just kind of slides on. You might consider buying a skinsuit first and then wearing it when you try on suits. You can also wear a thin wetsuit (I know people who wear 2 mils) underneath.

Good luck,

Orion DM

If you're going to stay with a wet suit, a 7mm around here is good. I agree with DiveMe on the henderson hyperstretch--yes, it's more money, but the fit was worth it for me (I have a 3mm for warm water).

I dive dry here in Seattle. One thing I've noticed about diving (anywhere) is as soon as I start to get cold, the fun's over. I use my air faster, and lose interest in the scenery because I'm cold. Check into it with the local dive shop (LDS) where you're taking your cert about a dry suit. Maybe you can rent, but also, check out Discount Dive Supply on Aurora to look into something gently used. Dry suits are expensive.

As a side note, when you do head for the water, take warmies for your SI and for after your dive. A Poncho or coat you can throw over your wet suit between dives will help keep you warm. I like fingerless wool gloves. Nothing feels as good as a wool hat, wool socks and a thick warm coat once your done.

Good luck!

Xarifa:
Maybe you can rent, but also, check out Discount Dive Supply on Aurora to look into something gently used. Dry suits are expensive.
Good luck!

Just FYI: Discount is actually on Westlake Ave N - not Aurora.

Happy Diving

:hideing_b :hideing_b :hideing_b Thanks to all who reply.
I was hoping to get cert with the wetsuit and then get the training on the dry suit. I may or WILL do both. If theres one thing I dislike its the cold!!!
I thought if I get a wetsuit of 7mm I would still get wet but be warner? maybe I'm delusional?
Sometime I miss all the little details. Like okay I'm out of the water, when do I take the stuff off? And if there's no facility I guess I better have a very warm car!
So I will check out my dive shop today for renting a wetsuit and try to get as much info as possible.

Another yet different note. Skin! Just being in the pool and my skin is drying up. When I have been watching the video I noticed there is alot skin exposure under water ( face and hands.) Gloves I got, but what about the face. ( I know the video is filmed in the Cayman islands so its warmer but still) Even when I tried on a dry suit, I noticed some skin peaking out. So I am concerned. I have no problems with the sun. I just don't want to dry out and become wrinkly because of 'water'.
I always thought too that with cold water- it may 'preserve' the textue;-)

I think you have the right idea, get your cert in a wetsuit and then try out a drysuit. The buoyancy in a drysuit is a bit trickier to begin with, but you will get the hang of it in no time. The way a wetsuit is designed is to restrict the flow of water and insulate you from the cold so that the water that gets in stays in and your body warms it up. A 7mil may keep you warm enough ( I wasn't sure what you meant by "I thought if I get a wetsuit of 7mm I would still get wet but be warner?" Warmer than... what?) to do the diving you want to do. If it keeps you warm enough to do a couple of 30-35 min dives and that is your goal in diving, great, if it doesn't keep you warm enough, maybe consider a drysuit or add a hooded vest to the wetsuit - oh, and wear wool socks under your booties, they REALLY help. I also wear gloveliners (The kind you wear when skiing) for my hands, they help too.

As to the skin issue, I find the salt water actually clears my skin and doesn't particularly dry it out, it leaves it feeling 'tighter' somehow. I do have to wash my face off pretty well because the salt irritates me when it dries, but that may not bug anyone else. The wrinkly prune syndrome in your hands and feet goes away soon after you get out of the water.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom