Women and sidemount BCs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turt1e

Registered
Reaction score
So, I finally received the Nomad LT Bluewater I had ordered for my wife. As soon as I got it home I went about getting it adjusted where I thought things should be for her based solely on my limited experience with my SMS 50. Of course as soon as I had her try it on I realized I had failed to take into account her girly bits. :blush: Lets just say that things where being flattened and pushed down in unflattering ways! :shocked2: It didn't take long to figure out that the chest strap needed to come above the breasts and the waist belt section readjusted back down around her waist. So now I think I've got a good starting point for her, but won't know for sure until we can get in the water.

Ok, so that is a really long lead in to ask, what else specific to women and sidemount setup should I be aware of? Below are a few that I have thought could be different in regards to women.

*Females generally have shorter torsos, which I would think would mean a shorter distance between the waist D-rings and the tank neck bungees. Does this also mean getting the tanks to trim properly will be a little more difficult?

*As a result of moving the chest strap up, the shoulder straps are now much shorter than a males setup, which moves the shoulder D-rings up higher. I actually had to remove the 2nd set of D-rings on each shoulder strap that comes with the Nomad as the higher set was almost up at her shoulders. I can foresee some possible comfort issues with the tank bungees if the d-rings are to high.

*And lastly, women actually have hips! I'm envisioning the back of the tanks being pushed outwards as a result, but not real sure if it's a big deal or if anything can really be done about it.

Thanks,

Paul

Steve, are you referring to the one about fitting a transpac?

It's not specific to sidemount, but is actually a good general harness fitment video. It would have saved me a few re-adjustments had I seen that one to begin with!

Thanks!

Call Frank or Edd at Cave Adventurers in Mariana, Fl.. They probably modify more sidemount rigs than anyone. I have even seen Stacy in one so I know he has been down this road before.

I'll actually stop in at Cave Adventurers in June on my way down to PCB, but I'm sure I'll have it figured out by then. Considering I didn't purchase the Nomad LT from them, I wouldn't feel right calling, even though I'm sure Edd probably wouldn't mind, considering he helped me out with my Hollis SMS 50, when all I was stopping in to buy was a longer hose.

Yep (because the basic issues are similar) ...

I figured as much.

So, unless some females start chiming in to the contrary, I'll just rig her up for sidemount with what works for me and go from there.

Thanks.

Edd and Stacy (and all their staff) are quality people... and I wouldn't fret too much about popping in to ask advice. However, with a little common sense you should have things squared away on the fit... I find it's hose routing that trips folks up most!

Back
Top Bottom