Woman dies during scuba dive off Wilmington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a commercial dive boat, an EPIRB is required, sufficient rafts that autoinflate are required, I don't know if O2 is required but it is damn sure present on every boat I've been on or read about.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to require an AED as well. If buying and maintaining an AED is going to put a diveop under, that's OK with me.

AEDs probably cost around 2K, maintenance and training is nominal. Not a bad idea at all. It seems improbable that getting rescue personnel to an offshore boat in a timely manner is realistic. But AEDs are made for non medical rescue personnel to use and just make more sense than thinking that one would matter by the time it travels so far offshore for a rescue. I'm not saying that CG boats should not have them and have them in working order, there are plenty of rescue needs inshore.

I am interested to know what all of the possible contributors to her rapid ascent were.

After I get myself together, I will be happy to post all info that Jayjudge requested. Also, actual events on that day. Just am not up to it yet, please have patience!!

Joe,

The fact that you are even participating here at this point is amazing to me. I can't see being anything but a basket case at this point. I admire your strength.

As for discussing that day, you move at the pace that works for you. It doesn't matter when...or even if..you get to the point where you want to discuss it here.

Sometimes doing stuff like this is what keeps those of us who have lost someone from doing something very stuipid. It did me a few months ago. We may not be able to talk about everything but the fact that we are talking helps to stay in touch with reality and gives some semblance of normalcy. It is only a semblance at first and some of what we say will not come out right or seem out of character. That is as well normal. But it may be the only way we can say it at the time. If someone takes offense TFB. We may or may not mean everything we say but at least we are saying something. For the survivors isolation looks very attractive at times and there are times when it is ok. But too much leads to insanity and worse. Been there, done that.

Joe, obviously take your time. I posted the request to try to get this thread a bit more on the accidents path then the what happened after....though important, as you know, any way to prevent ever needing the CG/DM's skills is always better. I also got a bit sick of the conjecture about what happened, why it happened, etc. BTW, they are looking for a PFO on Annette- let you know more when we find something....

Joe, obviously take your time. I posted the request to try to get this thread a bit more on the accidents path then the what happened after....though important, as you know, any way to prevent ever needing the CG/DM's skills is always better. I also got a bit sick of the conjecture about what happened, why it happened, etc. BTW, they are looking for a PFO on Annette- let you know more when we find something....

Let me know what they find. It sounds reasonable!!

After I get myself together, I will be happy to post all info that Jayjudge requested. Also, actual events on that day. Just am not up to it yet, please have patience!!
Lone wolf please take your time this is a veryhard matter and one wish never happened ,
one area concerns me is everyone says having an emt onboard would be costly , how ?its a local class tought three or four times a year at local collage for less than $20 in nc , take three months could be done in winter on down time , AED theres a Grant from Dan and other federal Grants and less than $3000 for the more expensive one's ,
CPR yes would recomend updatingitevery other year at least, any some improvements have been made locally , but not as much as I hope .

Cape Fear has O2 on board and the bottle was used up during transit back. There is no excuse for a dead AED and an empty O2 bottle on an emergency vessel. And an O2 reg goes on a bottle one way. These are the guys doing boat inspections and it makes me wonder if they equallt adept at that. As far as EMT, every person on the boat performed CPR after the incedent. The last thing we need is more regulation and more govornment mandates. We have the Coast Guard and look how they performed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom