Wolverine portable storage device?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vetdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, all-

Gearing up for our trip on the Bilikiki (2 weeks, 5 days, and 23 hours, but who's counting??). We own 5 GB worth of memory cards, but we were worried (2 people x 2 cameras > 7 MP x 16 day trip) that we'd be cutting it close if all pics were shot at highest resolution. Didn't want to haul a laptop all that way, and didn't want to be deleting iffy pictures before we could get a chance to look at them on the big screen.

So we bought a Wolverine portable storage device that automatically downloads memory cards. Tried it out last weekend, and it seems to work fine. just wanted to see if any of you have any experience with this thing - anything I should know?

thanks a bunch...

Hadn't even heard of it, but I clicked over to B&H to check it out. That's pretty cool. $469 is kind of pricey, but with 100 gigs and the ability to view media files as well it sure beats $50-70/gig for xD cards. Can you store/view RAW files on that thing? Will it accept a program to let it if not? That thing is like having a 100 gig handheld. Someone was talking about storing files on an IPOD. Wonder how they compare, as the IPOD is considerably cheaper and plays multiple file types.

I've got their 100gb model and it works great. No tips....just make sure it's charged before transfering images.

Karl

Hi

How are you guys doing ? I'm still diving and freezing my butt off , no drysuit yet !!!!

I was considering the Flashtrax XT 80 Gb for portable storage .Did you guys consider this as well , if so what made you choose the Wolverine ?

Anyone else with any info or opinions ?

Mine was $300.....it doesn't have the review screen....you just download as a backup....

We did 28 dives x two divers.....shooting RAW D200 files (large!) and I still came home with 65 gb free

The 80 gig unit is $240.....this would be very adequate for a long trip

Karl

Costco.com sells the MVP (view screen model) 80gb for $349, and the description says it will display "selected RAW formats". Sure would like to know if that includes Olympus. 80gb should get you through about a month of 3 dives a day in RAW. Too bad I got a Vytek for my birthday-Hey, anniversary's coming soon!

Our Wolverine MVP (60G) has come in handy when traveling in a group and at family events. We can download from everyone's camera then burn a CD for all.

Any tips on where to find downloadable movies that are supported by the Wolverine??

Hi, all-

Thanks for your responses!! We also bought the 60 GB one, we wanted to try it out before committing to a larger purchase. I am glad to hear some positive thoughts!! There is no review screen, and actually, it seemed like it was difficult to view large files using the Wolverine software when it's plugged into the computer (we had some taken as "fine" and others as "superfine" from our test run - we could look at the former, but not the latter). However, we just moved the load over into PE, which was pretty simple.

Andy, we didn't even look at the Flashtrax!! I am so totally ignorant of all things computer gadgety - I read a blurb on this thing somewhere and just bought it impulsively. NO DRYSUIT STILL????? That's OK, beer money is first and foremost for beer. I upgraded my drysuit this year - bought a custom DUI CF200. Painful purchase, but I love it. Of course, now I'm considering jobs in Texas and North Carolina...but we are diving in Vancouver next year, soo... And we still want to come back out your way...

I have a 40GB one with no view screen. I like it a lot. I used to shoot JPG on my Digital Rebel to get 200 pics on the card. (I only shoot on land so far.) Last trip, I just shot RAW and dumped it every day or two. If it got over 50% or I was going to be away from most of my gear, I'd dump it.

Someone else mentioned iPod. There are devices to do this, but from what I've seen they are very, very slow to copy from the card. This thing dumps my 1GB card in a few minutes.

If I was buying one now, I don't think a 3" view screen would be very useful, I'd rather have an MP3 player so I could fill it with music before the trip and slowly delete the music to make room for photos.

One other use, as others said, is if you meet up with people you won't see again, borrow their card and grab their shots of the places you've been.

Back
Top Bottom