Wisdom Teeth complications and ear pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello folks. Hope someone can shed some light or offer suggestions.

Situation:
I had wisdom teeth removed from one side five years ago. They were impacted and a bit of an ordeal to remove. Following the removal of the teeth, I had occassional bouts of stabbing pain in the ear but this problem went away after about six months. I don't know if the teeth/ear ailment is related to equalisation as I have had problems equalising the left ear.

The problem:
The pain has come back recently. My uneducated guess is that there is a problem with a nerve. I'm planning on resuming diving and dread the thought of this problem stopping me from equalising properly.

Help!!

I am alerting our diving dental maven, Laurence Stein, DDS, of your post.

Stay tuned.

DocVikingo

Louie,

I don't know if the history is sufficient to help figure this out.

During tough wisdom extractions, it is possible to hyperextend the joints creating post op soreness back in the joints. The lower injections can also cause muscular problems that refer to the ear area.

You indicate it has "recurred"....this unfortunately, is not enough to prove a connection to the extractions.

TMJ (Tempero-Madibular Joint Dysfunction Syndrome) also called TMD ( leave off the "JOINT"), can produce the symptoms you are discribing.

It can be a result of past injuries to the joint as well as a spontaneous, idiopathic condition.
Too much time has transpired to properly show a cause and effect.

Have your dentist check your bite. If there are other signs or symptoms of TMJ, occlusal adjustment, bite splint therapy, medications may be appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Laurence Stein, DDS
:doctor:

Disclaimer
(No representations are made that in any way offer a diagnosis, treatment or cure for any illness or condition, either discussed or implied. Answers to questions are offered as information only and should always be used in conjunction with advice from your personal diving physician/dentist. I take no responsibility for any conceivable consequence, which might be related to any visit to this site.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom