Wireless AI wristmount versus hoser console style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDeuce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

I've been thinking about adding a second computer to complement my trusty Veo 180 (ie demote the 180 to backup).

Now the conundrum. I like the Atomic Cobalt (easily readable display and easy to re-learn after the 12-15 month layoff that typically happens between my dive trips) but I really like a wrist mount. I want air-integrated but prefer to not have to clip a console to my bcd. So I wanted to know some of the pros and cons of the wireless AI models out there. Have they proven to be trusty? Reliable? Battery life in the transmitter part solid? Or is there a battery swap every second Tuesday?

If the Cobalt came out in a wrist mount it'd make my decision easier but I'd like to get some weigh-ins from those who have beta-tested wireless AI units in the field.

Thanks in advance!

m.

We use the Galileo Sol, a hoseless air-integrated dive computer, in our training & rental programs.

They have proven to be robust, trusty and reliable. The battery on the transmitter will last over a year or two.

Hey all,

I've been thinking about adding a second computer to complement my trusty Veo 180 (ie demote the 180 to backup).

Now the conundrum. I like the Atomic Cobalt (easily readable display and easy to re-learn after the 12-15 month layoff that typically happens between my dive trips) but I really like a wrist mount. I want air-integrated but prefer to not have to clip a console to my bcd. So I wanted to know some of the pros and cons of the wireless AI models out there. Have they proven to be trusty? Reliable? Battery life in the transmitter part solid? Or is there a battery swap every second Tuesday?

If the Cobalt came out in a wrist mount it'd make my decision easier but I'd like to get some weigh-ins from those who have beta-tested wireless AI units in the field.

Thanks in advance!

m.

I have used an Aeris Elite T3 for four years now. The only time I've ever had the computer not linking up (losing signal?) repeatedly was a dive at the Blue Hole pond in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. Must be something in that water because my other hundreds of dives in Southern California water never caused the computer to lose signal.

Battery life is all over the place. I think that it's highly dependent on the brands.

For my computer's battery, the original battery lasted a year before the "low batt" symbol showed up. I changed it out and the transmitter's battery out at the same time as well. The LDS put in some weird generic battery into the computer and it lasted about a year before the "low batt" symbol showed up. For the transmitter, the off-brand battery didn't work at all. The battery was the right type, but just didn't work. With some research on SB, supposedly generic batteries don't have enough oomph (I'm not an electrical engineer) to run the dive computers/transmitters even though the voltage output is correct. So, an Energizer went into the transmitter and it lasted two years.

An Energizer also went into the computer and it lasted two years. Actually it didn't show "low batt" symbol but since that I was changing out the transmitter battery (it actually went dead because I forgot to change out annually), I changed out the computer's battery too.

So, I think that with my computer, a Duracell or Energizer brand battery would have enough oomph to last two years in the computer and the transmitter. However, I change them out annually just for cheap insurance.

I think that wireless AI computers have been more than beta tested by this point. Even "tech" computers now come with wireless AI capability.

If a wireless AI unit can't connect to the transmitter I assume it still operates like a regular non-AI wristmount, tracking PPO2, nitrogen loading, depths and times, etc. Am I correct in that inference?

And - my plan was to keep my traditional console so I'd have an old-school backup for PSI and depth (I still spin the bezel on my dive watch before the big sink - mainly out of habit now but initially just in case my dive computer fried or some such). Is keeping an old-school console in addition to a wireless AI done in practice? Or is this a good opportunity to streamline by eliminating one hosed unit from the mess, relying on two separate computer units?

m.

Yes, it will still operate as a non-AI.

If you are doing tech diving or the like, then use the console as a back-up.

If you don't need the redundancy, then just use both wrist computers and have your SPG in your gear bag. ( If your transmitter fails, you will need to abort that dive. )

If a wireless AI unit can't connect to the transmitter I assume it still operates like a regular non-AI wristmount, tracking PPO2, nitrogen loading, depths and times, etc. Am I correct in that inference?

Yes, it works like a regular computer and doesn't read the pressure either temporarily (lost of signal) or permanently (dead battery in transmitter or damaged transmitter).

And - my plan was to keep my traditional console so I'd have an old-school backup for PSI and depth (I still spin the bezel on my dive watch before the big sink - mainly out of habit now but initially just in case my dive computer fried or some such). Is keeping an old-school console in addition to a wireless AI done in practice? Or is this a good opportunity to streamline by eliminating one hosed unit from the mess, relying on two separate computer units?

Many people have backup SPGs and many don't use backup SPGs. Do whatever makes you happy. I still spin the bezel on my dive watch but it's more of an affectation than anything else. A couple of times my computer flooded after a battery change (my fault for not securing the battery compartment properly), but then every time I change batteries on computers I always dive the first dive with a backup AI computer or SPG anyway.

Computers don't just "die". Barring some outrageous circumstances, they just don't give up the ghost. The operator/owner forgot to change batteries, or in my case didn't secure the battery compartment properly. Or maybe manufacturer's defect (Atomic Cobalt springs a leak), but this is usually fairly well known because all the irate owners would call up & cuss out/send in their units back to the manufacturer for warranty and the manufacturer would issue out recalls.

Hmmm... not seeing a whole lot of love for console style computers. How much should I read into this? That Cobalt display is a siren song for me but how well would it translate to a wristmount?

Computers don't just "die". Barring some outrageous circumstances, they just don't give up the ghost. The operator/owner forgot to change batteries, or in my case didn't secure the battery compartment properly.

That's what I've learned to expect. Now I did have to change the battery on my Veo 180 just before my last dive trip and was nervous about doing it wrong so I borrowed a Hollis something off of some friends just in case I fubared the battery swap. There were some differences between my computer and the manual so I had to do some guessing to get the job done so I wasn't feeling 100% on my work until I hit the water. That said, I quickly learned to like the idea of having dual computers, even if only to help out if one goes missing during the night...

m.

Hmmm... not seeing a whole lot of love for console style computers. How much should I read into this?

You should read nothing into it at all. I have both a console AI unit and a wireless AI unit. Most of the time I use the wireless AI unit because having it on your wrist/forearm is pretty handy. However, when I go hunting, I prefer to have the console clipped off to the BC most of the time. Nothing on my wrist/forearm to get in the way of sticking my hand in a crevice to bring out a lobster or a crab. Less protrusion to tangle up the speargun's lanyard or interfere with a Hawaiian sling's release.

That Cobalt display is a siren song for me but how well would it translate to a wristmount?

m.

I don't know. That sucker is heavy!!!

Also, from now on I'm leaving the batteries changing to the LDS that have a pressure chamber. That way they can check for leak immediately instead of having to test the battery compartment's water resistance the hard way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom