Winter Gulf Rig Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone been out to the rigs in January on the day trips that some operators (Ultra Dive for example) offer? Any Comments?

Scott

I sent an email to them in October asking about the season and never recieved a response. I sent another email to a different Freeport charter in Novemeber with the same. I think from the lack of response they aren't running unitl May-ish.

I went with one in October out of Port Aransas and it sounded like everybody shuts down until spring. It's hard to say though, I was leaning over the rail so much that I could have been hearing the voices again.

Most start in February with weekend trips. Then in March they step up and offer trips all week long. That is just what I have seen with 3 of the charters out of Freeport.

Do you know where I can find any reviews of the Freeport operators? I know people who have gone out with the Fling or Spree but that's about it. I've run across Ultra and Wolf on the internet but I haven't talked to anyone who has used them.

I am ready to go as soon as we get some forecast for 2-3' seas. Most likely it will be March before I get offshore. About the only charter that I know doing rig trips is Wolf and Ultra. But I only know what I have seen on the internet. From what I have heard Fling/Spree only do Flower Garden trip and maybe stop by a rig on the way back in. I have never hear of Ultra

I have wondered just how much business a day trip boat could do to rig along the upper Texas Gulf Coast.

Michael,

From your profile I see you have been to the Fogg. I'm hoping to go there this year. Do you have any photos, comments or reviews?

NO, I don't have any photos cause I just got my housing last month. I only got to go to the Fogg one time last year. I have several numbers for the area now so plan to make a few trips out there this summer. I will be sure to get some photo as well as make a reports when I get a chance to dive out there. Those will most likely be midweek trips cause the area can get very crowding with people fishing on the weekends.

I only got to make one dive on it last summer cause I screwed up my computer but I learned form me mistake. But if you want to read a short report I had from the dive check out the link. It report is post #9.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=109815&highlight=fogg

All and all it was a pretty good dive. But I really look forward to checking out more of the wreck and try to make some of my own maps and maybe write up a little document for other people wanting to make the dive.

I'll go out there this weekend if there is a ride going out. Wanna go? I understand we have to go at least 30 miles to start getting good visibility.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom