Winter diving in VA (quarrys and lakes)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, JJ-
Can I suggest cross-posting this thread, or maybe starting a new one, over in the Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders forum? It's an active forum of divers in our area, a very friendly and helpful crew who can give suggestions of the type your asking about. As a matter of fact, I'd be interested to talk about them too, since I want to expand my training and accreditation.

DaveO

winter quarry diving is actually rather nice. The water is usually clearer, but it is rather cold and the fish aren't active. This winter I did my drysuit specialty (no one wanted to teach it to me, too cold). I'd love to go with you, but my schedule doesn't allow it (not to mention the fact that I have no place to keep a car).

brandon

....a few miles south in Virginia Beach there is ocean diving all year around. Check out Lynnhaven Dive Center on the net(www.ldcscuba.com) for schedules. Of course, you also have the quarries. The folks down here use Lake Rawlings.

I now winter in the Florida Keys, but I used to dive all year when I lived in Virginia Beach on a regular basis.

I want to welcome you to dive with us in Southestern, PA anytime. We can do dives at Dutch Springs (which is rather nice in the fall/winter). We can also do many of your DM requirments on a 6 pack dive boat out of either Pt. Pleasant, NJ or Mystic Islands near Atlantic City. Myself and the wife would love to visit and dive out of Virginia Beach too. We both love that area for both the water sports and the dinning.

I am a NAUI instructor and if I can be of assistance, drop me a line.

I recommend Mt Storm Lake. It is open 24/7/365, kept warm (50-60 in winter, up to 95 in the summer) as it is a cooling pond for a coal fired power plant, has 3 platforms 25 ffw, 50 ffw and 90 ffw, a max depth of 130 ffw, and no entry fee. Viz runs from 10-25, quite dark below about 60 ffw.

Dave D

jjreyes,

Sure, I'm up for some diving. I'm in NC but go to Rawlings often. Mt. Storm might be a good choice too. Send me an email if you want to go sometime.

Hi JJ,

I'd like to hit Mt Storm at least once this winter -- I currently dive wet so the quarries are rapidly getting to cold! Post over in the bottom feeders when you're thinking of going. There are a number of divers there who are fairly active!

Good luck with your DM,

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom