Wings question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh Levinson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently have OMS dual 100 lbs-lift bungeed wings, and I'm now looking into selling these and buying a set of Dive Rite wings. I've narrowed my search down to the Dual Rec, Classic, or Superwings. I'll soon be getting into cave diving, and eventually wreck penetration, but for the moment I'm doing open water deco diving. Which of these wings do you guys recommend and why? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks.

Josh

look at oms ( no bungees) or halcyon wings, i think these both are better quality wings than the diverite. The materials and construction are better in the OMS and Halcyon wings.

Andy

Hi,

I have a Halcyon 65 pound wing and an old DR Classic wing. Love them both. The Halcyon is a lot beefier than the DR. I don't think you will need a 100 lbs. of lift. you don't need the bungies - (check archives for many many threads). Try to keep the rig balanced and use the right wing for the job. What type of tanks are you diving>?

Eric

then the 55 or 65 wings will be best. No need for the 100 #.

Eric

I agree. Forget the Dive Rite wing. You'll be trading yours in for second/third best (if that good). A 55lb Halcyon will suffice nicely for you. I use a 55lb wing for double LP95, 6lb plate, v-weight, and bottle or two slung -- 55lbs is plenty.

Take care.

Mike

Problem is, Halcyons are only single bladder, and I'm looking for a double bladder. And also, doesn't the required lift depend on the type of exposure suit you're wearing (i.e. crushed neoprene vs. neoprene, etc.)? Thanks guys.

Josh

Why the need for double bladders? You are increasing your task loading. If you have a dry suit, then that can be your secondary lift. Second bladder means a second inflator hose (another failure point). Second, you have your buddy and a lift bag if it gets really bad.

Eric

Double bladders are a gimmick which is out there that allows divers to side step proper weighting. You don't need double bladders if you're using the right exposure suit/tank combination. On top of that, double bladders are an expensive alternative to proper weighting/configuration.

Are you diving dry or wet? What about in the future?

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom