WING WAR: Halcyon vs Dive Rite vs OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepster0000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Which wing do I need. I will be doing both salt water and fresh water diving, starting trimix, and use one or two tanks. I have heard so many opinions about wings that will make my head spin. I am trying to select a wing that would work for me, and not wear out. I have heard so many good things about Halcyon, Dive Rite, and OMS, but I have not heard any problems. What I really want to know is the pro's and cons but mostly which wing is best?????I would like to hear all your opinions.

I wasn't particulary impressed with the quality of my Dive Rite wing, but I have been extremely impressed with my Halcyon. Regardless of which wing you choose, do not get one with bungies :wink:.

Good luck.

Mike

Which is best??? Whoo-boy! You don't ask simple questions! :D

In my opinion, they ALL are very good. And selection pretty much comes down to personal choice.

I dive the OMS bungee wing because I like how the bungees add to the performance of the wing (and for the "Bondage wing" nay sayers, we've already heard it, no sense repeating yourself).

I also know divers who use the Halcyon and Dive-Right and they are also happy with their choices.

I'd say to give them all a try and see which you like best.

I have Halcyon,Dive-Rite and Zeagle wings they are all about the same(nobody is going to admit he bought a piece of crap)If you're getting into mix-diving that's 3or 4 tanks and probly atleast 55lb lift.I use 18 for tropical diving 65 or better for long mix dives .Figure out your swing weight(the weight of gasses expended and the loss of bouyancy that all exposure suits suffer at depth )For instance A 2mil compressed neoprene drysuit,breathing 200cuft of back-gas and 60 cuft of deco gasses gets you a swing weight around 30 lbs or so .

For singles diving I just purchased a 27# Halcyon wing and have 8 dives on it.

It is wonderful !

I dive it with steel tank, SS BP, no STA, a soft weight belt and a drysuit. With my weight divided up between myself (#weight belt) and the rig (BP) I have no trouble floating the rig with 27# lift in cold water diving. For warm water I would just do without the weight belt.

The Halcyon products are no only well made but well thought out. The 27# wing is long, narrow and connected top and bottom which translates in super trim, very little drag and no air trapping.

I have used both a DiveRite and OMS wing for 3 years. They both performed to my liking. I felt the OMS wing was a better quality than my DiveRite. But in its defense i never had a problem with it.

However, due to the age of my wings i recently ordered the Halcyon wing. I dont have it yet but it should be any day now. I switched to Halcyon due to the reviews it got in all its posts, nnot one person hasnt liked it!

any of the 3 you list will work, but you did say"and not wear out" so if i was you i would get the Halcyon. I think there are all about the same cost too.

Andy

a Dive Rite Classic and 2 Halcyon wings. I guess you could say I like the Halcyons better since I bought 2 of them vs. buying any more Dive Rites. My girlfriend has a Halcyon 36 for single tank diving. The Halcyons IMO are more robust in their construction. We both will buy halcyons again. I agree with LY don't buy any with bungies on:jester:
Ken

I use Halcyon and Dive Rite wings. When deep wreckin', I use a Dive Rite superwing instead of using 2 wings. The new Dive Rite wing is double bagged to keep sand and grit from building up and wearing on the wing. I also like the way Dive Rite will fix any problem and ship within 72 hours of receipt. I don't know of any other company who supports their customers that well.

That being said, I dive Halcyon wings as much as Dive Rite.
Halcyon did an excellent job designing their wing. There is no pull dump on the LP inflator, which eliminates a potential failure point.
My limited use of OMS wings lends me to only speak of the Dive Rite and Halcyon.

In general, all 3 brands perform equally and are of similar durability. Though I have heard of a few more problems with Halcyon and Dive Rite than OMS, the difference is not significant.

Without getting into the bungee/no bungee debate, you won't go wrong with any of them.:boom:

Does anyone have any comments on these wings. I'm using them for cave diving and would like a little feedback on them:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom