Wing vs. Jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sponon

Registered
Reaction score
Im not sure whats the best rig for me. During my OWD and AOWD I used a rental jacket, and found it quite discomfort. The jacket fit me properly, but it was so bulky.
The instructors told me take a look at some wings when buying my own kit.

I will be (mainly) diving with a dry suit. Im a newbie to scuba, just finished my courses, but anxious to start diving on my own with my buddies.

So whats the pros and cons here? I know its all about personal preference, but since im a newbie I would appreciate some help from the professionals :D

Regards,
Sponon

The long and short of it is there are no "Cons" to a BP&W. It will handle what ever type of diving you get into (for double you just swap out the wing). Scroll dow the Buoyancy Compensator Forum and you will find plenty of posts.

Our most popular "system" is the Halcyon Eclipse

Halcyon Eclipse System HES *Buy Halcyon at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

Sponon,

There's not many cons to a bp/w other than it can be a bit of a pain to setup the first time. Also if you are very tall or short, you may need a different plate size.

The beauty of the system is that everything is modular n replaceable individually should something break.

I have used an Eclipse, an OMS, dive rite and Oxycheq systems, my personal fav is this:
AL back plate w/ Oxycheq Hog Harness & Oxycheq Mach V wing [DROCpkg] - $375.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

I swap out the dive rite plate for an OMS and it's perfect. The oxycheq mach v wing is the most streamline wing I have ever used and the design of the wing lifts me higher out of the water than the other wings I've used.

SangP

The primary disadvantage of a BP/W set up is that it will give you the misplaced illusion you are a better, more skilful diver than you really are. Plus it may also create delusions of increased attractiveness to the opposite sex together with a firm yet utterly misplaced sense of entitlement to give gratuitous advice to other divers on all topics.

I have a bp/w. I am happy with mine as are many on the board. Here are a few cons:

1. the fact that it is customizable means that you may spend some time getting your harness and rigging just right. Then you may end up re-doing the harness and rigging again after a few dives when you learn more about what you want.

2. When I am diving without exposure protection, wearing doubles, and walking to the dive site I get bruises.

3. If you overinflate the wing and lean forward or backward the rig may push you on your face or back respectively. The key is overinflation, and besides, this can be an advantage if you wish to be on your face or on your back. I've never been on my back or face when I didn't want to be.

4. A wing that can do doubles and singles does neither very well.

5. Airport security can give you some issues if you carry on because they don't like big metal plates going through the x-ray machine. You may have to dig it out of your bag. This is more of a problem in non-dive airports such as San Antonio for example than in the Cozumel or Grand Cayman airports.

The primary disadvantage of a BP/W set up is that it will give you the misplaced illusion you are a better, more skilful diver than you really are. Plus it may also create delusions of increased attractiveness to the opposite sex together with a firm yet utterly misplaced sense of entitlement to give gratuitous advice to other divers on all topics.

Yours has obviously had limited use.

The best advice I have read, heard or received, is try different styles out IN WATER. even a complete newbie can FEEL differences and know how they affect the diving.

Thanks for feedbacks guys. Really appreciate it. So a wing that can do both a single and dual really isn`t good at both?

I thought this was a really helpful:
Why a backplate and wing - DIR Explorers
Thanks for a great article, mate :D

The best advice I have read, heard or received, is try different styles out IN WATER. even a complete newbie can FEEL differences and know how they affect the diving.
This may be difficult, because I dont think my local dive center have rental wings..

Thanks for feedbacks guys. Really appreciate it. So a wing that can do both a single and dual really isn`t good at both?

Singles wings and doubles wing differ in more than just capacity, they differ in overall shape and in the width of the center panel.

Doubles wings need to have a center panel (the portion that does not inflate) wide enough for two cylinders. When used with a single tank a doubles wing will wrap up around the cylinder.

Most divers considering a BP&W are doing so for more streamlining, easier venting etc. Using a dual purpose wing will defeat some of the advantages of a BP&W.

Consider also the cost to moving to doubles, a couple sets of doubles @ $600-900 each, a drysuit and undies, $3000, 4-5 regulators, 4-5 deco / stage bottles, argon bottles and regs, canister light $800-1500, Training etc. $10K is easy to spend.

Another ~$300 for the correct doubles wing is a drop in the bucket on the road to doubles.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom