Will titanium rod in the leg be affected during diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put the gear in the water first, Don the gear in the water to keep the weight off.
When my father had his hips replaced...not at the same time which he regretted later...he found that he wasn't healing very quickly at all. I recommended he get in the pool and swim laps as he felt comfortable to do, and it cut his recovery/healing time in a big way. His doctor now recommends swimming to all of his patients (that can swim) and has had great results. For those that have had replacements done, has this worked the same way for you too? I figure non-impact, total body as swimming is has to work well for the recovery effort. My only concern would be for the extra weight out of the water as we gear up.

BTW, I go straight through metal detectors with no problems. Comforting that is ins't it.

All of my hardware is stainless steel, and I have never set off a metal detector at the airport.

It is possible for a metal detector to detect titanium under certain conditions. It largely depends on the amount of titanium & the level of sensitivity of the detector. Given enough Ti & a sufficiently dialed up detector, it will go off. In the case of implants, detection rates also depend on the implant's location within the body.

Airport security backscatter & millimeter wave scanners definitely will reveal a titanium rod.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Walkthrough metal detector settings can be a really broad hit and miss kind of thing. I've helped set up one before when I accompanied a buddy whose company was involved in alarm and surveillance equipment. Too sensitive and everyone will have to be patted down to be sure. Not sensitive enough and you spend sleepless nights wondering whether anyone in the ferry (was for a ferry terminal) will get killed or any ferries hijacked. At somewhere within the recommended setting (probably determined before 9/11), I actually walked through the detector with not only the rod which extends all the way down my lower leg but also a knife (4 - 5 inch blade) IN MY HAND! :D

Back
Top Bottom