Will this work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxPower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I own a substantial compressor/air dryer setup in my woodshop to run various tools, is there any way I could add to the setup so I could fill tanks? I know you need proper filtration and a "booster" but is there anyone that could shed some light on this?

Generally, the cost would be prohibitive. What is the maximum output pressure of the compressor? Again in general terms, a low pressure compressor has a "high" volume output and a high pressure compressor has a low output. In most cases neither can be substituted for the other.

Craig

The compressor will do 150psi @ over 20 cfm. Is that too little?

I'm not sure if there are many boosters that can deal with a supply pressure that low, that don't cost more than a small compressor, even used. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it might be cost prohibative.

Craig

Max, boosters require a power source, electric or pneumatic. What widney is saying is that your compressor would be fine for powering a Haskel booster but that's all. The answer to your question is "no" unless it is to be done for amusement and about $3000 is available for the project.

I guess you "could" use a booster powered by a shop air compressor but it would not remove the moisture or contaminants from the air. A good SCUBA compressor has three or more stages and several water separators in addition to a final filter. If you do not remove that water you will have big problems. I have seen a compressor pull about a full cup of water out of the air to fill one SCUBA tank. If you do not remove it then that goes directly into your tank. Point is there is much more moisture in the air than most of us realize.
Plus a good compressor is cheaper and faster than a booster.

What kind of lube is in that compressor is another big one adding to the problem. In short, forget it.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom