Will Northern Fiji Blow My Mind Away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anje77o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been diving in Cozumel(my fave spot so far) and the Big Island. How does Nadi compare? Are the waters as clear, more marine life, beautiful beaches, more to do, etc.? I want to take a trip in two months but if it's not better than the spots I've already been I'd rather save my vacation time for a later trip elsewhere. How easy is it to get from Nadi to another island? Thoughts?

I would say it's well worth the trip, esp. the relatively easy trip you have from Cal. Non-stop from LAX. I remember being blown away on my trip on the Nai'a liveaboard, and thinking Coz would not cut it anymore, but when I returned to Coz I wasn't disappointed at all. It's just different. Fiji has the awesome soft corals and schools of fish like an aquarium, the towering "bommies" are great to dive, mantas, a super lucky freaking whale shark sighting! etc. Or you can fly a bit longer and try Indonesia or the Philippines- both of which will blow your mind- again! Search pictures and you will see the difference.

The average diving in Fiji is better than the best of Coz, at least in my opinion. The problem you will have is that you wont get anywhere near average Fiji diving in Nadi.

Nadi or Taveuni for diving and exploring the island?

Diving Beqa Lagoon is like diving the Caribbean on SUPER steroids......Nothing that CZM has can come close to BL...

Like others said, apples and oranges. I've been to Fiji three times and Cozumel twice. In Fiji you will see different and huge variety of fish, corals, critters and a whole world of soft corals. Fiji is more expensive. Fiji is more attuned to metric system and non-American divers although everyone speaks fluent English. So PSI might be BARs. Meters not feet. Not much of an adjustment really.

Nadi is not the place to dive. As other said...go to Taveuni or Bequa ( shark dives too in Bequa) or Namena ( fantastic place) or Bigh waters or Kandavu. The liveaboard Naia gets rave reviews and hits a couple of those. Most places require a long taxi drive from Nadi or a flight on puddle jumper.

Cozumel is usually clearer, easier, more set up for diving and the food is better. It's run for divers from the US. You, after awhile, tend to see the usual carribean creatures there while Fiji probably has 5 times the diversity.

People are very friendly in both places...maybe Fiji gets the edge.

I was in Fiji in April and also spent time in Vanuatu, another awesome destination btw. Did Bequa shark dive...touristy but amazing.

Caveat: Several areas like Taveuni, Raki Raki and Savu Savu were hit hard by Cyclone Winston so do your research and inquire. Diving probably not damaged but your resort might have been.

Bula !

Thanks for your responses! Any thoughts on drift diving in Taveuni? Was it similar to Coz? Or stronger currents? Is that what easier meant? Setup? As in they don't setup your gear for you?

Back
Top Bottom