Will my regulator work with this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Someone offered to give me a HP120 tank. she said I would need a different regulator.

Is this true?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that no one will be able to answer your question until you tell us what kind of valve is on the tank and what kind of regulator you currently have.

well, if you have a din (threaded) connection on your regs, and the tank valve is a din, then yes.

if its a regular j valve, and your regs have a yoke connection, then yes.

If not, then you can either get an adapter or simply purchase a different valve for the tank.

What sort of valve is on it? Din or Yoke? What regulator do you have? -- a few things we need to know before we can give you any type of intelligent answer

Maybe, most likely is that your current first stage is a yoke fitting and a 120 is a din fitting. Din fittings can handle more pressure than yoke fittings (more pressure = more air). The good news is that most newer first stages can be easily converted from yoke to din at your local dive shop. Also if you have a din fitting on your first stage you can get a din to yoke adapter that just screws on so that if you rent you can use either style. There is no adapter the other way as yoke cannot handle the pressures that din allows. The only down side to this adapter is that it sticks out a little more and some people bump their head on it.
I believe that my LDS wanted about $65 to do the conversion on an Apeks. You may get a break it they change it when you get your regulator overhauled as they are tearing it apart any way.
If you say what kind of regulator you have and look at the valve on the tank I am sure there will people on Scubaboard that will be able to give you a clear answer.

Soggy

divebutt:
well, if you have a din (threaded) connection on your regs, and the tank valve is a din, then yes.

if its a regular j valve, and your regs have a yoke connection, then yes.

If not, then you can either get an adapter or simply purchase a different valve for the tank.

Perhaps you mean a "regular k-valve" ? J-valves are almost non-existant...and I hope there isn't a J-valve on this HP120.

Gotta watch out with the "K" designation, all that means is that it does not have a built in reserve. DIN valves are "K", at least I haven't seen a "J" in DIN.
DIN are also available in HP & LP versions, with a screw in DIN to yoke converter being unable to seat in a HP valve.

My regulator is yoke.

I have no idea about the tank yet. Is it possible to put a yoke vavle on a HP tank?

mfalco:
My regulator is yoke.

I have no idea about the tank yet. Is it possible to put a yoke vavle on a HP tank?

It is possible, but if you already have a DIN valve on it, it will be cheaper and easier (not to mention smarter and more ideal) to change your regulator over to a DIN. So what reg do you have?

Bob3:
Gotta watch out with the "K" designation, all that means is that it does not have a built in reserve. DIN valves are "K", at least I haven't seen a "J" in DIN.
DIN are also available in HP & LP versions, with a screw in DIN to yoke converter being unable to seat in a HP valve.

If you read this you'll see that the isn't a "LP" or a "HP" version for the valves; there's no difference other than the thread depth. The valves are equally strong.

Back
Top Bottom