Will Most P&S Camera Divers Eventually Want Dual Strobes?

Will Most P&S Camera Divers Eventually Want Dual Strobes?

• Yes, that is the natural progression.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Yes, but it's like me wanting Jessica Alba, never gonna happen.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • No, most will only want one strobe.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • No, most don't even want one strobe.

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
There has been a couple recent posts suggesting that getting a dual strobe capable tray will save you in the long run because you will most likely eventually want dual strobes. This happened in a thread regarding a P&S camera. I think this statement might be correct for SLR divers but not for P&S divers.

What do you think?

Even though I shoot with 2 strobes on my P & S, I think most divers prefer a more compact rig, and will find lighting simpler with a single strobe. That said, if you dive in more challenging regions, such as the land of cold green water and kelp swaying in the surge, two are a practical necessity. I can't tell you how many times I've had a black shot because one strobe was covered by kelp or was carried behind a rock while I was pushed around by surge. Also, it's hard to get adequate light without blasting the subject using a single strobe in two foot vis with night-like lighting conditions.

It depends totally what you want to shoot. All cameras have inherent limitations, and generally the cheaper the camera the greater the limitations. But as well as being cheaper they're also usually more compact, so it's a compromise. Whatever camera/housing you dive with, try to work within its limitations and get the best that it can give you. Don't try to go beyond what it can do as it will always lead to disappointment. You'll be surprised at the quality of photos you can get from cheap and simple gear. I don't usually use any external strobes (though I do own some) - I don't want to dive with the bulk.

In case you think that just means I don't know anything about photography, I have a land camera that cost over $10k and love using it - on land.

Incidentally, I haven't voted as there's no option that covers my view (which I know to be a common view).

I should add - if you really are getting seriously into u/w photography then yes, it's likely you'll use more than one light source. But anyone who's asked this question probably doesn't know much about it yet, and I strongly recommend anyone in that position to start small and take lots of pictures with a simple compact without external strobes. Only when they've achieved high quality results with that setup should they consider pouring a lot of money in and buying costly gear. Assuming you're motivated by the ability to take good photographs, not a desire to show off.

There has been a couple recent posts suggesting that getting a dual strobe capable tray will save you in the long run because you will most likely eventually want dual strobes. ..... I think this statement might be correct for SLR divers but not for P&S divers.
I agree. If someone is serious about getting the very best in quality, they'll probably get something other than a point and shoot. If I'm going to go the expense and bulk of dual strobes, then I'll upgrade my camera also.

Charlie Allen

(who brings along a P&S on his solo dives to document the mermaid riding by on a tiger shark. Ohhh, and also for fish ID purposes since the camera has better memory than me.)

I think it depends on a few things. Here's where I see dual strobes being better than 1.

1. turbid water - You can aim both strobes outward and "feather" your subject with both strobes. This will minimize any backscatter or particulate that shows up in the picture and still exposes your subject well. I think this is probably the most important reason to dive with 2. I think for the occasional diver like me its even more important because when I dive, I don't have the luxury of waiting for good viz.
2. WA - Most single strobes covering a good WA lens will have some fall off of light toward the edges. This is true even with a P&S.

I've owned an SP350 with 1, then two strobes. I liked it a lot better with 2 although it opened a whole new can of worms as larryC touched on above. Still, I found the benefit of two strobes outweighs the pain of having a larger rig.

Following OP's question sensu strictu, I'll bet that MOST p&s shooters will never use any external storobe at all.

Those of us that become more passionate about it will add a strobe or maybe 2 depending on what (macro vs WA) & where (blue water vs green water) we're shooting and how much gear we're willing to carry with us.

Following OP's question sensu strictu, I'll bet that MOST p&s shooters will never use any external storobe at all.

To follow sensu strictu, you have to follow the active verb.

I totally agree that most P&S shooters will never use a strobe, but the question is will they want a strobe.

I wanted to vote for Jessica, but can't since I have dual strobe set-ups.

Thanks to all who voted and posted.

Incidentally, I haven't voted as there's no option that covers my view (which I know to be a common view).

This is an in general, worldwide question; I attempted to word it such that the region, shooting style and camera don't matter.

Of all the P&S camera divers in the world, in your opinion do you think more than 50% want dual strobes? If your answer to that is no, do you think more than 50% want one strobe? If your answer to that is no, do you think more than 50% don't want a strobe? If your answer to that is no, your answer would seem to be that you think less than 50% will want no strobe, less than 50% will want one strobe and less than 50% will want dual strobe; my apologies for not including that option. Is that the common view you speak of?

If the posts that resulted in this poll had been worded "depending on the camera, subjects and region you might consider a dual strobe tray" there would not have been a poll. The recommendations I am questioning are "you should get a dual strobe tray because eventually you will want dual strobes" when all we know is the camera and where the person lives (not necessarily where they dive). It's kind of like recommending BP/W when all we know is someone from Wyoming wants to get certified. :rofl3:

My position is that occasionally I might want a strobe, in which case I'd prefer two (and own them), but that most of the time I choose not to use them as I regard them as too bulky. The feeling that there is an inevitable progression from simple to complex (and expensive) pervades many activities, not just underwater photography, but out in the real world is often not applicable.

One of the few areas where I have been chasing technology is in land stills photography, where I've invested a fortune over the past year or so (well over $10k), and have more to spend. I bought myself an HD video camera & housing, but literally haven't touched it in over 6 months - it doesn't "grab" me. I haven't bought an underwater housing for a DSLR because I believe I can get good results (not as good, obviously) with a compact camera that almost fits in my pocket. In fact, when I go out I always carry a camera with me "just in case", but 95% of the time it's a compact in my pocket, not the $8k DSLR I bought a few months ago. That only gets an airing on special occasions.

Another area where I've aimed pretty high in the past is sound recording equipment, but that aspect of my life is currently dormant. As is the love of fast motorcycles - instead I bought one that goes quite slowly, is light to move around, and uses very little fuel, as being far more appropriate to my current needs. And there are other areas. I have decided what level to pitch my experience at, and then try to do the very best with that level of equipment. That's the philosophy I apply to underwater photography.

To follow sensu strictu, you have to follow the active verb.

I totally agree that most P&S shooters will never use a strobe, but the question is will they want a strobe.

I wanted to vote for Jessica, but can't since I have dual strobe set-ups.

Thanks to all who voted and posted.

You're abo****ley correct on the want vs use. Even so, I believe that most will not want or even care about adding a strobe. A fair chunck may cosnider it for a bit, but reconsider after seeing how much strobes cost and the amount of bulk they add to the system. I think the vast majority of P&S shooters just want a simple system to take some quick & dirty snapshots to share with their firends & relatives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom