Wife is getting interested in diving. Where to go with easy shore entry - Near U.S.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all. I am trying to motivate her.

She is at the phase right now where when I am talking about it and her other friends are around and they talk about she says afterward that maybe she should get certified. I think she will enjoy it, but she is a very frugal person and doesnt want to spend the money. If I can just get her through OW certification then we can work slowly to get her more into it. She really likes snorkeling and can sit there with me all day staring at fish.

I think she would really enjoy shallow dives.

<<she is a very frugal person>> That's going to be an uphill battle since diving tends to be the opposite of frugal. :) Here's the line to use: "it's not about how much but the value you get..."

&#8230;She really likes snorkeling so I think she will like diving and I am letting her come to this decision on her own. I'm not forcing it on her&#8230;

A truly wise decision. I suggest following that lead with where she would like to go. You can&#8217;t do all that badly anywhere in the Caribbean or the Bahamas. Make the trip about her.

why do beginners always think Shore Diving is easier than boat diving? It is not, in the majority of cases.

seasick? Then maybe you need to teach her how to prevent it on the ride to the reefs, buy staring at the horizon, breathing deeply the fresh air, being well hydrated, and talking to others as a distraction. Most people get over being seasick once they do this. If it still is an issue, then deal with it by trying ginger caplets (calm the stomach) or going for the heavier medications as a last resort.

The BEST diving is almost always (Bonaire is the exception) reached by boat. Shore diving can be very good to exceptional, if you are looking for critters and fish, but not pretty coral and color.

Check out my shore dive videos at Scuba Club Cozumel:

[vimeo]11565537[/vimeo]

and

[vimeo]40679162[/vimeo]

and my shore dives in Bonaire:

[vimeo]22313769[/vimeo]

and

[vimeo]3273329[/vimeo]
older video, not HD, sorry, but gives you an idea

As you can see, Bonaire gives you gorgeous colorful reefs that are accessed by shore. These range from EASY entry to DIFFICULT entry. In fact, the one to the big wreck I fell and smashed against the shore hard coral twice, scratched my housing lens, and got cuts on my forehead and arm through my wetsuit. Shore diving CAN be easy for a beginner, but it also can be difficult!

I have more videos, if you want her to see various dive locations. See the link in my signature.

robin

I agree that Bonaire would be great for her, after she gets a few shore dives and is comfortable you can introduce her to boat diving at the resort. Very little wave action on the South side of Bonaire plus very short boat rides. Getting sick is highly unlikely.

I suggest that you select a local dive shop and instructor to complete her book work and pool dives at home. They can give her a referral for a shop at your vacation dive destination to complete the open water dives. No wasted vacation time studying or doing pool sessions. This is what my daughter-in-law did so she was ready to finish up on her honeymoon.

The photos on the link below are all from Bonaire.

Add me to the Bonaire list...also it is a Dutch Island so you get the advantage of feeling like you are out of the US.

I'm all for shore diving with new divers or boat diving if it's a small group and have the boat for the day.... I would not take my wife with her new OW card on a cattle boat... Rushing is not her cup of tea and following a group of people around the reef is not my cup of tea... Shore diving lets you dive at your own pace and takes the stress out of it... I have fun diving with her and that's our time together... We went diving the other day and lucky if we had 3feet visibility :confused: But it was really good training for her and we had a blast... I've been looking for a place for our 30th anniversary ... And bonaire is going to be it:wink:

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom