Wife is a diabetic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hasn't happened yet, and I hope it doesn't. Typically it's only considered a danger if you don't eat and drink, or don't eat and do strenuous exercise, so is easily avoidable with just a little bit of thought. However, I do have a friend over on the ADA's message board on Met that does occasionally get hypoglycemic. He's since learned how to avoid that for himself.

If your Mom does go for the Met, make sure it's the extended release version, lessons the gastrointestinal side effects to a great extent. You can also send her over to the ADA's Type 2 message boards if she wants to talk to other diabetics about it. It's a good bunch over there, they taught me more about controlling this than my doc :D

You shouldn't get hypoglycemic on Metformin, due to it's mechanism of action. I am guessing that the person who reports hypoglycemia on Metformin probably has borderline normal blood sugars, or perhaps a rapid drop into the low normal range which FEELS like hypoglycemia. I suspect you will not have any need for glucose at depth.

As for Mom, I usually just find a brick wall and beat my head against it, it is easier than trying to convince her to make changes. She has been needing medication for years and has refused to do it. She is not very disciplined with her diet either. The ONLY thing I have been able to get her to change is her exercise habits.

Good to know about the XR, thanks!

Thanks for the offer, I was diagnosed maybe 6 years ago. I was a typical guy I guess feeling all my symptoms were a process of aging....... WRONG. I had a checkup at a Kaiser facility and was put on 4 500 Metformin a day, a blood pressure medication as well as something for cholesterol. I have been with a different physician for maybe 3 years now and I take no meds of any kind with exception of the small aspirin once a day. I have had the Thalium stress test and passed no problems, I have seen a cardiologist for what he called a pvc and felt it didn't need any treatment at this time. My A1c is 5.7 and my average blood pressure is 109/ 64 with daily treadmill and weight several times a week. I eat small portions frequently with no large meals to speak of. I can feel a blood sugar of 180 and if I get around 86 I begin to feel it strongly. If we have a nice dinner out when we get home she relaxes and I do a 20 minute run on the treadmill to avoid a high blood sugar. I take the small boxes of raisins when I'm out so I can have a fast acting shot easily in fact I also use them diving, just not in the boxes. I know lots of information you likely didn't want bit I am always looking for suggestions as to management. My second wife passed at 42 due to complications of Diabetes so I'm trying to stay as healthy as long as possible as I have seen the results of the disease up close and personal. Thanks again for any suggestions.

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. Did she have Type 1? She was young to pass from diabetes related complications if it was Type 2.

You sound like you are doing a terrific job! I'm impressed!

Frequent exercise of moderate intensity and modest weight loss is more important than infrequent exercise of high intensity in terms of helping maintain blood sugar control. Sounds like you are already doing that.

Some docs use ACE inhibitors and ARBs in patients with diabetes even when they have normal blood pressures in order to reduce workload on the kidney. I'm not sure what the latest consensus is on that subject, or what your individual situation is, but it would make a good question for your next routine visit.

Now both of you need to come talk some sense into MOM.

I was a typical guy I guess feeling all my symptoms were a process of aging....... WRONG.

Sounds familiar :D I blamed the frequent bathroom trips on the diruetic part of my BP meds, and the constant thirst on the combination of peeing a lot and working in a building with dry air. Little did I know till I got the flu and went to the doc for the first time in several years.

My A1c is 5.7

That's doing really well :cheers:

I suspect you will not have any need for glucose at depth.

That's the plan :D Though I also figure it's good to carry in case of problems that cause extra exertion such as needing to go back in to rescue someone in current.

As for Mom, I usually just find a brick wall and beat my head against it, it is easier than trying to convince her to make changes. She has been needing medication for years and has refused to do it. She is not very disciplined with her diet either. The ONLY thing I have been able to get her to change is her exercise habits.

Sorry to hear your Mom is so stubborn about this. The complications from taken diabetes seriously are rather scary, especially when they fairly avoidable with a bit of effort and self control. I'm probably fortunate that both my Grandparents and my Mom had it, and worked hard at control, so I already knew it could be done when I got diagnosed last year.

Some docs use ACE inhibitors and ARBs in patients with diabetes even when they have normal blood pressures in order to reduce workload on the kidney. I'm not sure what the latest consensus is on that subject, or what your individual situation is, but it would make a good question for your next routine visit.

That still seems to common practice.

Be happy to help. Best bet is trying to get to her the message board I mentioned earlier. They'll be a whole bunch of other diabetics to try pounding some sense into her :D

You shouldn't get hypoglycemic on Metformin, due to it's mechanism of action. I am guessing that the person who reports hypoglycemia on Metformin probably has borderline normal blood sugars, or perhaps a rapid drop into the low normal range which FEELS like hypoglycemia. I suspect you will not have any need for glucose at depth.

Good to know about the XR, thanks!

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. Did she have Type 1? She was young to pass from diabetes related complications if it was Type 2.

You sound like you are doing a terrific job! I'm impressed!

Frequent exercise of moderate intensity and modest weight loss is more important than infrequent exercise of high intensity in terms of helping maintain blood sugar control. Sounds like you are already doing that.

Thanks again for the responses. My wife was a type 1 or juvenile onset diabetes. She had weak kidneys and was going through the checks for a possible transplant. A restricted artery caused the need for a bypass so she had that. After the surgery her kidneys never worked again so she was placed on dialysis. After that she had a lot of problems with shunts and had several surgeries to resolve those issues. She contracted an infection from the dialysis that damaged her heart valves. She had another open heart surgery to replace the valves and things seemed to settle down after that. Some 6-8 months later she was returning from a dialysis procedure and pulled the car into the driveway and told our 12 year old son to call 911 as she wasn't feeling well at all so he did so and returned to the car. He held her for a moment and she passed in his arms. The fire station was a block away and she was gone when they arrived. Knowing exactly how deadly the disease is and the fact that it never takes a day off is why I do what I do. I would also be happy to chat with your mom if it would be any help. Metformin did however give a real sensitive stomach and a terrible case of the wind...... if that matters at all

Back
Top Bottom