Widish Beam Moderate Brightness Light - Night Time Clear Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all - as the title suggests I'm after a light that is medium to wide beam and not too strong so as not to scare off or blind anything down there. I want something hand held, that I'll clip off to a d-ring like a backup light. Budget is ideally under $100 but can stretch if needed.

Thinking 20-30 degree beam with 200-400 lumen output would be fairly decent spread in clearer waters?

What is out there you can recommend? From looking around I've only been able to find things like the Intova Wide which I think is too wide and wouldn't be bright enough, and a plethora of tight beam super powerful backup type lights.

Check out the Intova wide. For clear water they are great. Not too bright with nice spread.

Princeton Tec Torrent LED. An extremely impressive light that fits your description and is well under your max price. AA batterys last for an astonishingly long time, many many hours. External switch one hand operation. I use them for night dives in clear water. No hot spots, bright even illumination over a wide area.

We have 2 of the TovaTec's and really like them, Diving Backup Lights - Dive Gear Express Be aware they run on CR123's but that is why I bought them since I keep them on hand for my other lights.

Hi Joti,

I would look at this light
Piranha Black Star 350 LED Light "Rechargeable Battery System", Piranha Dive Manufacturing from Piranha Dive Manufacturing, Randy is a super guy to deal with

Regards

Doug

This looks like one of the XTAR D06 lights

D06 XP-G R5

I have their D01 lights, which has the same shape and mechanism and really like it. The Piranha package looks like a very good buy. And it fits nicely into one of the Oxycheq light socks to keep your hands free. The slider provides continuous light intensity control and you switch it on before you dive with a twisty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom