Wide angle photos in low viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone:

My new years resolution will be to master wide angle photography in low viz conditions. Can anyone give me some tips and possibly post their wide angle photos that were taken in 10 - 15 ft viz? Subject doesn't matter. Wrecks, coral scapes, big animals whatever.

Thanks -

Sinbad

HaggertysCrane4_zpse0998f12.jpg

f/10, 1/200, ISO 400, 17mm

HaggertysCrane13_zps270c6f7f.jpg

f/11, 1/100, ISO 400, 16mm

HaggertysCrane10_zps8730b327.jpg

f/16, 1/100, ISO 400, 16mm

RedondoBargeSeptembe2-9.jpg

f/11, 1/320, ISO 400, 35mm

These were all shot in eight feet vis. I use a Nikon 16-35mm for wide angle. I open it to 16mm and get as close as I can, usually within a foot of my subject. My strobes are extended as far out as possible and pointed outward 45°.

Last edited:
As always, amazing shots.

What size sensor? (So I can work out the equivalent focal length on my camera.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What are your settings?
Thnx

Very nice shots. Max Bottom Time. Have you had to use any other films speeds than 400?

Although the D700 shoots very well in low light, I try to keep the speed between 1/100 and 1/320 for wide angle. Sometimes it's too dark and I have to use 1/60 but any slower than that and the picture gets too blurred. I shot a nudibranch at a very high ISO once, I believe 3200 and it still came out pretty nice. I tried it again with no luck.

I brought my fins and camera back to my home in the temperate waters of the northeast for the first time and managed a few shots I was mildly happy with. Sorry for the watermarks, they are the only small versions I had of these.

The first outing meant dunking my camera into the watering holes I used to play in as a kid. Generally I stayed above 5' in depth and looked for interesting vegetation. Shooting upwards to get the surface of the water helps make the water look a little clearer and aiming the strobes outward reduced backscatter. I could get the exif data if you really want (I think f/9, 1/100 sec. iso 100??).

Milfoil Pondscape watermarked.jpgLily Pads under small watermarked.jpg

The second outing involved shooting blue sharks out of Rhode Island. When I used them, the strobes were away from the lens and deflected outward but in this case, some backscatter was unavoidable. I chose to live with it and, in at least the first image, I think it helps add to the excitement. Strobes weren't totally necessary here. I did make one cardinal mistake and that was, being a temperate water newbie, I reduced my shutter speed for much of the encounter to 1/80 and 1/60 sec. With such large and fast moving animals, this created a lot of images that looked great in the back-screen but had a slight amount of blur to them. Iso 400, f/9-12, 1/60-1/100 sec.

Prionace glauca and boat small watermarked.jpgPrionace gauca 17 small watermarked.jpgPrionace glauca 5 small watermarked.jpg

It also helps to have friendly subjects that are willing to get close, but there is such a thing as too close. I'm still buffing out the scratches:

_MG_4489 small watermarked.jpg

Back
Top Bottom