Wide Angle or Macro? Which Lens to Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thoughts so far. Also, I guess because I've never seen a set up with one, I'm curious how the stacked macros work. Are the lenses threaded so that you can screw one into another?

This thread has been like a tennis match - back and forth. LOL. I'm about ready to flip a coin! I'm leaning towards the macros. I went back through all my photos and realized that the details in the little things always seem more interesting than the reef scapes.

Inevitably I'll end up with both, but from what I understand there's not so much in the way of wreck in Belize (which seems like the main place I'd use the WAL), and it's more about the wildlife. Reefscapes don't really do it for me, and I'm not sure how likely the big pelagics are to show up down there.

So I'm leaning towards the stacked macros right now. I appreciate all the insight on this thread though, some really good stuff.

here is what stacked 165s can produce:

nudi_kabayana_1.jpg

this is UNCROPPED. Same as the following...

nembrotha_3.jpg

These are with a single 165.

ghost_pipefish2.jpg

nembrotha_5.jpg

both are cropped...

Awesome pics Wolverine. How does everyone with the stacked macros secure them? Some kind of pouch?

I use an Inon lens holder. Think there are alternatives.. like an lens leash..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom