Wide Angle or Macro? Which Lens to Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Alright, I'm really getting itchy about my trip to Belize next month and am looking to add some new toys (just got my strobe in today :D ).

What do you regulars think is a better thing to go for first? Macros or Wide Angle? I've got my tried and true Olympus C-4040 with a PT-010 housing, just added the Sunpak after being brainwashed by SeaYoda's photo work with it.

Looks like my options are either:

1) Inon UWL-100

or

2) ucl-165 m67 (similarly, alcina's photos have got me brainwashed thinking about getting two of these and stacking them)

I definitely see the benefit of the stacked macros, IMO the C-4040's macro isn't all that great and I'm definitely intrigued by finding all the 'small critters' and snapping away.

At the same time there also seems to be a lot of use to the wide angle, but would like to hear more about those of you who have a similar set up.

Which would you get first if you had to pick one, and also for those of you who have both a macro and wide angle, what do you find yourself shooting with more often?

I guess the whole lens caddy/keeper needs to factor in the discussion as well, as I'd need one of those (unless you guys have other ways to keep your lenses from potentially going to Davey Jones' locker...)

What kind of pictures do you take the most of? Wide or Macro?

I love using my stacked Macros....but do use the wide more than my Macro lenses

It's typically been macro, but a lot of that is that is because I think the creatures are more interesting than the reef scapes. Of course, part of that is because most of the places I dove while in college were more commercialized (Hawaii and the Bahamas) where most of the reefs weren't exactly in great condition.

I'd definitely like to do more 'scenic' stuff but typically found myself hunting the bottom for critters in the past.

So basically, I think I didn't help you at all on that. LOL.

If it was me, I'd go with the WA first. Your 4040 already has a good macro lens built in, at least you can do alot with it. Wheras you're totally without any WA capabilities. And that WA can be used in macro mode for some cool slose up WA shots.

Some folks make the UCL-165 lens seem like the answer to microscopic close ups but it takes alot of practice to learn where that 1/2" DOF is and how to use it effectively. So unless you can dive frequently to practice A LOT with that lens like Lisa and Alcina do, I'd leave it for later.

Just my 2psi

sounds like you take pictures like me....:D

Get the WAL first...Gilligan has the same set up as you do and I think he got the WAL first too.

I'll second Dee's post.

I have the C4000 which is similar to the 4040. I did get my WAL first followed by the close-up lens, both Inon brands.

It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of the UCL-165 close-up lens as it has a very narrow depth of field but takes great photos.

A leash for the WAL is a must. If you drop it in deep water it's gone. It is too heavy for you to chase after.

The close-up lens does not have a collar on it for attaching a leash to.

You may want to take a look at the GBUndersea lens dock as it has a leash.

If you plan on eventually getting both lenses then you may want to plan ahead for a tray system that will accomodate two lens docks or you will have to keep the close-up lens in your BCD pocket.

I built my own tray with two lens docks.

Macro for me. I have the WA and I rarely shoot it. To me it's infinitely harder to shoot a really striking WA image than a very cool macro image. And I like the details more than the big picture. I guess I didn't have the problems some others have had with the macros and although DOF can be interesting to work with it's rare that I have actual problems with it.

It really does depend on what you like better :wink:

Hmmm tough question... I went macro first but that was because it required less equipment to take good shots, and little creatures are soooo facinating. After I got the WAL, I realised that to really take nice WA shots, dual strobes and good water vis are essential (though it is possible to do it with one strobe with some qualms). I would go with macro lens first.

get the wide angle..you can still do some macro with your present setup and if you think the image is too small try cropping it and then see if you like it..Try some photos in my gallery..done with a oly 5050 wide angle lens..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom