Wide angle or FE + a bonus question on strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vkalia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Ok guys, I am getting closer to springing for the housed DSLR rig. My main goal with this setup is close focus wide angles & fish portraits. Later, I'll probably add a macro lens.

For a bunch of reasons, I am leaning towards a Canon system. So that Nikon 10.5mm lens is not an option for me. So the big question is - which would be the best WA lens? My choices are the Stigma 10-20mm or their 15mm FE. Have read a few threads and not gotten enough information to make a decision.

I am not fussed about differences in image quality between these 2 lenses - either of these lens will produce saleable images. What I am concerned about is usability, and what I gain/give up with each of these. I'd like to get your thoughts on the strengths and especially *disadvantages* of each. What is it that you find hard to do with one lens and not the other, what has your experience been using either of these lenses in a diving environment, etc. etc.

My list so far:
- the FE and the macro lens can share the same housing (if I get the 60mm macro)
- 10-20 is 32mm at the long end on the crop body, which is good for fish portraits
- minimum focusing distance - will have to check on it, but not sure if this will really matter in the real world
- 10-20 gives a wider angle of view than the FE

What am I missing so far?

Bonus question - this is an extremely basic question, but for those of you using non-Ike strobes and housings: how do you set your flash output/exposure? I believe Ike is the only one offering TTL strobes for DSLRs, so do you set your flash output manually or does the strobe have its own built-in meter? Or is there some other way for controlling the flash that I have missed?

TIA,
Vandit

Back
Top Bottom