whytecliff vis today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
fantastic dive today @ Whytecliff. Too busy in the bay so many seemed to opt for The Cut. We saw 8 divers upon our entry and the 4 in our group. tide was real low so entry was slightly tricky with the slippery rocks. We dropped down on the right side and vis was about 10' in the top 30 and FANTASTIC @ depth (90') When we hit the anenomes the current started to really pickup. In our favour at that point but we decided to turn around because it wasn't getting any better and a tough swim back, we'd use some air fighting it. painted greenlings, kelp greenlings, ling cod, schools of tubesnouts, swarming schools of some shiny silver fish??? usual nudis, crabs, shrimps, copper, quillback, and black rockfish, black & pile perch, and tons of moon jellies. one of the best dives I've been on in a long time and the vis! wow.

yup, there was one right there swimming as we were doing safety stop. then because of the low tide he was on the camelback hump rocks just before the marker tanning. there are still quite a few very friendly seals. nipping at your fins and just swimming alongside. very cool.

Les, I think I was there when you were!

The two n00bies at Whytecliff, my buddy was a really tall fellow (6'6") in a red & black drysuit. I was the not-so-tall (5'11") guy in the wetsuit.

You're right about the vis! We had 10' vis tops until we hit 30' or so on the left wall of the bay there, as we swam along the curve of Whyte Islet. At 30' we got maybe 25' of vis. Lots of crabs and monstrous starfish for us novices to mess with.

Our second dive wasn't quite as good. By that time the tide was coming back in and the vis was faceplate until 25', where it was still murky although you could see out to about 10' or so.

Next dive we're going to try Porteau Cove, the Bay in particular. I understand it's great for beginners and has a really gentle entry.

Les: The vis was nice down there, we drifted the gardens and got out in the bay side (entered from the cut) and had a 2nd dive on the Islet :)

Too bad you couldn't make the night dives tonight!

B.

Back
Top Bottom