Whytecliff Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akirawut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So this may seem like a ridiculous question, but we have only ever been in the bay at whytecliff for courses. We are thinking of hitting whytecliff this sunday and we want to hit the cut and the day marker. We have been told you just walk down the entrance on the far right, then dive right for the cut, left for the day marker. Is this accurate?

Any help is appreciated. Don't hesitate to say hi, we will be diving out of a silver nissan altima on sunday.

-Tom

This is the cut. You go in at the arrow. It gets deep very fast. Peterviceg and I are planning on doing a deco dive on Sunday in the cut. I'm going to be in a yellow FJ Cruiser. We'll probably be there at around 9am.

Hi Tom,

As Slamfire pointed out, it gets deep fast. The entrance can also be a bit tricky depending on how many logs are in the narrow gap. I'd suggest walking over and having a good look first. Looks like the tide will be out Sunday in the AM, but it's a very small exchange, so that could be a positive.

When the tidal exchange is greater some folks do that dive as a drift dive, so it's a good idea to check the tide tables as the current, especially right around the rocks, can be significant (vs. the sheltered bay of Whitecliff.

You can dive the cut either left or right, left leading back into the bay, right eventually ending up in Copper Cove but that is a _long_ ways.

Make sure you buoyancy control is good as you'll be diving on a fairly sheer wall.

Enjoy your dive.

Bjorn

Great, thanks for the info. When going left and attempting to head back into the bay is it as easy as following the contour? Any way to screw it up? I guess going right it's easy enough to go out and back on the wall?

Thanks!

Try hard enough and it's possible to screw anything up :wink:

Going left, drop down past the 'opening' of the cut and follow it down to about 60 or 70'. If you follow that contour around, you'll end up in the bay. If you stay a bit shallower , say around 50', you should end up right in the plumose gardens. There are 2 memorial markers in there (although I haven't seen the smaller one in some time).

Once you get into the bay, which you'll know by the fact that you're following the sand up, if you have lots of gas left you can follow the 40 or 50 foot contour around and end up at the 'reef'. Which you can explore, working your way up to 20 or so feet and then follow the sand up (approx 190 heading from what I recall). That should take you to the exit by the change rooms.

If you stay shallow going left (30 feet) it's easy to get a bit turned around in the rocks in front of the bay.

Personally, it being your first time diving the cut, I'd head left instead of right. It will take you into the bay and can be done as a 'one way dive'. Whereas if you head right, you'll need to turn around to get back.

Excellent thanks! We will probably try left as you suggest.

Viz was fine, not great. Went left, saw the anemone garden etc, pretty neat. Current was a bit strong for Laura as we rounded the point so we bailed. Will have to hit it again another time.

Met some folk though so that was good!

It was good to meet you guys too. Sorry if I scared anyone with our tales of the ripping currents today. At least the current didn't catch you offguard. The current was only bad around the rocks. Once you got inside the bay the current was actually in your favor. Nonetheless, you can't go wrong by taking the prudent approach, particularly if you haven't done that route before -- good decision.

Interesting. I wonder how close we were to where we would have been riding the current. By the time Laura called it I think she was actually getting out quite out of breath which is obviously not great under 70' of water.

Part of the problem was the camera too, lots of trying to stay stationary for photos etc. We decided that next time we do something new the camera stays in the trunk! One less task to worry about.

Nice to briefly meet you guys. The cut is an amazing dive. Not to be taken lightly in terms of current and weather. There is much to see at all depths. The vis today was about as bad as it gets so do go back. As for the camera, it is a big deal to cope with all the stuff going on out there and to pack a camera. It may be an idea to learn your way around the place and save the camera for days when you can actually see something.

It is not a bad plan to be aware of just what the tides are doing out there. A famous dive is to pick a time with a max exchange and plan to be swept around to the next cove. Mostly it is a garbage tour, but some fun when you feel comfortable doing it.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom