Why we don't always use freediving fins in scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Why we don't always use freediving fins in scuba? Which are the main disadvantages of freediving fins in scuba?

Freediving fins are great for generating speed and thrust to cover lots of distance on a breath-hold, but don't offer as much fine control while requiring more effort to manage the length. The mid-length scuba fin tries to strike a workable balance in the middle that meets the needs of divers with tanks.

Some of us do.

I always liked full foot fins, for many years used the mares quattro, then I tried a pair of the long freediving fins and was instantly sold.
They are a bit long for traveling, but we got a long fin bag and AA had no problem with it going to Bonaire, as carry on they had to store it at the front, but no issues.

IMG_20190601_101345485_HDR.jpg

I haven't used freediving fins, but the first set of scuba fins I bought were long and flexible, maybe halfway between Jet fins and freediving fins. They're comfortable and great for flutter kicking, but suboptimal for positional kicks (helicopter turns, back kicks) and too floaty for use with the drysuit.

Freedive fins ARE more efficient and powerful, and they ARE pretty good for scuba diving in some situations - like long distances or search patterns in open areas where long fins won't get in the way. Or maybe diving in very strong current where you need the all the power you can get. Or for unfairly winning any sort of bet about air consumption or speed underwater.

They're great going forward, but they are very difficult to do back kicks, tight turns, and general maneuvering in. So you end up flopping around, hand-finning, and kicking the poor anemones more. You can't really climb a ladder or walk on a boat in them so they have to go on/off in the water. They're more delicate than regular fins and need a little more protection when you throw them in the car or a bag.

Also they're generally all full-foot designs, so if the water is cold enough to need thick boots they're no good. I got mine a few sizes too big and wear them with 5mm neoprene socks.

When I was last in Florida, I witnessed two incidences of broken free-diving fins -- in one case, a fancy-schmancy SEAC carbon fiber one, north of 400.00 -- while preparing to dive, off of a crowded boat.

Apparently, it was clumsily stepped upon, presumably do to its large-and-in-charge, ungainly size, while the prospective diver was turning; twisting; or what-have-you, while on board. Of the second case, I only saw its broken result, on my return, and an unhappy diver, packing up his gear.

Much swearing ensued . . .

I once paired up with an instabuddy on free diving fins for a dive on a really fine wreck in south Florida. Sadly, I followed him through the wreck and saw very little of it as I navigated through the massive cloud of silt he stirred up. I could see well enough, though, to see him clunk and crash his way through the doors and other openings as he tried to maneuver with those monsters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom