Why We Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was having a really hard time the other day explaining to a non diver why diving in a local lake or quarry is so much fun even when there's nothing to see. I finally finished Diving into Darkness by Phillip Finch and there's a quote in there that I feel sums of diving better than I ever could.

"Divers are not thrill-seekers. This is a sport of controlled tension, not of cathartic release. A dive is an exercise in task management, patiently sorting through one after the other, and the payoff is not so much an adrenaline fix as the quiet sense of a job well done. The tasks are usually trivial: tying off a guide line, monitoring instruments, adjusting buoyancy. Many are mental. Nearly all of them appear to be simple, but even the simplest tasks are challenging in an underwater cave, or at great depth. And the consequences of failure — even something so simple as neglecting to check the reading of a pressure gauge — can have catastrophic consequences."

It is so true. Even when there's nothing to see or you're diving in zero vis, going down and just completing what seems like a menial task is so rewarding. The mental challenge and that feeling that you completed some task well while under water is extremely satisfying.

Whatever keeps you coming back .....

Most of my pond dives of late have been in the 5-9ft mark for depth in 4C waters for 50-80 minutes .... videoing freshwater shrimps, beetles and seeping pools of water. Interesting for me, not for others.

_R

I was having a really hard time the other day explaining to a non diver why diving in a local lake or quarry is so much fun even when there's nothing to see. I finally finished Diving into Darkness by Phillip Finch and there's a quote in there that I feel sums of diving better than I ever could.

"Divers are not thrill-seekers. This is a sport of controlled tension, not of cathartic release. A dive is an exercise in task management, patiently sorting through one after the other, and the payoff is not so much an adrenaline fix as the quiet sense of a job well done. The tasks are usually trivial: tying off a guide line, monitoring instruments, adjusting buoyancy. Many are mental. Nearly all of them appear to be simple, but even the simplest tasks are challenging in an underwater cave, or at great depth. And the consequences of failure — even something so simple as neglecting to check the reading of a pressure gauge — can have catastrophic consequences."

It is so true. Even when there's nothing to see or you're diving in zero vis, going down and just completing what seems like a menial task is so rewarding. The mental challenge and that feeling that you completed some task well while under water is extremely satisfying.

I dive in the Pacific ocean and rarely in clear warm springs and I do NOT see the joy in quarry diving or most lakes. Respect the skills needed and that it may be primary place where you can dive/train but that's pretty tough (but boring) diving.

I try to dive once weekly most of the year. To really enjoy it, for me there to be an objective(s). They are mainly shell collecting, but also scallop hunting and poke spearing flounders. I have dived in lakes and rivers where this just doesn't happen. I don't look at those (rare) occasions as pointless, since they serve to keep in a constant frame of mind regarding diving. But they are mostly quite boring.Yes, there is always some feeling of accomplishment, though I'm not sure why. I don't get very philosophical about the magic of gliding "weightless" through the water like the fish do. I did a lot of that snorkeling to the bottom for 40 years anyway, before becoming a diver.

For me it is an escape from the world, my phone, gravity, conversation and a chance to spend time in my own thoughts.

i'm quite happy to float aimlessly in low vis, as I am to be in the tropics or in a wreck.

You would have a hard time explaing the attraction of diving in a quarry to me too.

N

You would have a hard time explaing the attraction of diving in a quarry to me too.

sometimes quarry diving is best available without dropping a wad of cash on flights / food / boarding / boat. only really enjoyable if you subscribe to the 'Don't care about where/when/how, I'm going diving!' mindset, and don’t have cheap and easy access to warm water diving.

sometimes quarry diving is best available without dropping a wad of cash on flights / food / boarding / boat. only really enjoyable if you subscribe to the 'Don't care about where/when/how, I'm going diving!' mindset, and don’t have cheap and easy access to warm water diving.

The question was asked. I would have no interest. You enjoy it so great. But your motivations buy nothing with me.

Critters, cameras and tequila are my interest, I am a Caribbean Resort Luxury Diver. You can have the frigid mud.

IMG_6752_zpspzfhugjb.jpg

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom