Why the difference in these pictures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hory

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone can help me explain why the pix with the red filter on is so red or orangy vs the pix without the filter? Any help will be appreciated.

First pix with filter on is attached. Pix without the filter follows.

Best,
Hory

.. but it is a red filter

As these prints slides or digital images

If they are prints then you are getting what the photo lab operator thinks look right

Hory once bubbled...
Anyone can help me explain why the pix with the red filter on is so red or orangy vs the pix without the filter? Any help will be appreciated.
How deep were you?

DL

This is a good example of why color filters aren't needed. I agree, what color did you expect? I see nothing wrong in the second picture that an external strobe wouldn't fix.

There is no magic filter that is going to give you topside colors to underwater pictures. Water removes color, period. It's a fact.

Hello,

Classic use of a 'red filter' is for b/w work. You see a tremendous difference.

Ed

First of all, thank you for all the posts.

Some answers to your questions:

1. How deep? We were about 30-40 feet deep at the time I took both shots. One with filter, the other without.

2. The pix were taken from a digital cam (Nikon Coolpix 5000) on an Ikelite housing. I used a Nikon SB-105 strobe set at TTL.

3. What was I expecting with the red filter? Nothing really. Hoping I'd get more natural reds in there as the warm colors are the first to disappear at depth.

So if a red filter just gives me red or orange, what good is the filter then other than for black & white as blacknet indicated? When do you use it and when don't you? Shoud I be using it a deeper depths?

Best,
Hory

my guess is that was a ' red25' filter - that filter is used almost esclusivly for B/W and Infrared shooting. why - it's to dang red.

sice your useing a digital camera - why not just set the white point at depth and it'll shoot about perfect ? you can't use the strobe however. a better method is to set the white point a known amount to the red and filter the strobe to the blue that much.

filters can add a lot to your pictures but you need to be able to use them correctly.

Back
Top Bottom