why should one keep away from BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having a dive shop that is familiar with set up is a definate plus with this system. I just purchased an abyss backplate and haven't quit got it set up and adjusted to my satisfaction yet. I dove with it a couple times already but it needs a little more adjustment. Also it seems like switching from a thin wetsuit to a thick dry suit may become a pain, although this could just be inexperience with the system talking. Also getting out of it required some assistance but once again could just be inexperience talking.

Overall seems like I am really going to love it just takes some getting used to. Particularly going to like it better when abyss sends me the correct bladder size as opposed to the 80 lb one they sent me by mistake.

have to jump in here.

I bought a Halcyon BP, 36# wing with the backpad. Then bought a 9# 1/4" BP from Gary (GUTS) about 2 months ago, MY father-in-law passed away about the itme I bought it, so I hadn't been able to use it.

Last weekend (Saturday) I poured in about an 8# keel weight.

Got to dive with it on Sunday.

Sweeeetttt!!!!

Still need to get the crotch strap dialed in, and a little work on locating the tank, but...Oh, baby!

Been diving a Genesis Recon...big back inflate. I actually liked it, but the BP/wing is the real McCoy.

Padding isn't an issue with a 7mil Neoprene dry.

And...

lal7176...leadwieght can "besa me culo"

PM me for the translation if you're interested

He's apparently not given the system a true opportunity to prove itself. One short dive, and it'll be what I take everywhere, for everything. It's just too clean & simple not too.

Anybody in the market for a slightly used BC?

I switched to a BP&W about a year ago, mostly because I was getting a doubles setup together. After I dived it a few time with the doubles I bought a smaller wing and a single tank adapter. Now I wouldn't dive with anything else. I even packed it with me on my last dive vacation. It's so much smaller then a standard BC that it actually left me some extra room in my gear bag.

The only thing I could say I don't like about it is that the croch strap is a little wide, 2 inchs, and tends to chafe on the inside of my legs when I walk. This is so very minor that it's almost not worth mentioning. I could easiely change the size of the strap if I wanted to and the only time I walk anywhere is if I'm doing a beach dive, which isn't very often.

All in all I'm very happy with the switch and as I said I wouldn't dive with anything else.

Scott

Ok, since there are so many supporters of the BP/W in this thread could someone tell me what a setuo like that costs compared to the typical 3-400 dollar range back inflation BC.
Thanks for the comparison shopping.
Bill

Dyno Bill once bubbled...
Ok, since there are so many supporters of the BP/W in this thread could someone tell me what a setuo like that costs compared to the typical 3-400 dollar range back inflation BC.
Thanks for the comparison shopping.
Bill

I have 3 BP/W set ups.

My first one cost me $10. I was given the backplate and I liberated the wing from my TPII set up. The ten bucks was for new webbing.

My second one cost me about $250. $120 for a used Halcyon wing on Ebay another $100 for a used Halcyon backplate and then the rest was incidentals (shipping, new webbing)

My third cost me under $300. It was a brand new DiveRite plate and Classic Wings setup. Dive Rite was running a special on them and my LDS told me about it. I really didnt need another setup, but hey, it never hurts to have spare gear...

I setup the Halcyon system with my doubles, I use my original bp/w setup for single tank recreational diving, and my DiveRite one has never been wet yet.

In response to the original question about drawbacks to a bp/w setup, only one comes to mind. It can take several dives to get it adjusted properly if you have never used one before. Don't condem it until you have at least 4 dives (and I dont mean just a 10 minute dip) on it.

Cave Diver's post was spot on. This is called a "balanced rig" that encompasses not only the right weighting and balance of your equipment, but this also can not be properly achieved unless you have your harness straps adjusted properly.

With the harness on (no tanks) you should be able to reach behind you and easily touch the top of the harness. The crotch strap should not pull down on the waist strap in any way, and the left and right d-rings need to be where you can easily clip off your regs, lights etc. easily and with the hand the d-ring is on (right hand for right clip, not crossing over your body)

With your harness set up properly, the equipment starts to go on top of this foundation in a proper and balanced manner helping you really maximize the benefit of the BP. With things set up properly, you will have so much enjoyment from your diving. I remember the first time I dove with things balanced, and I then really knew what it was like to glide. Great feeling

One thing DIR Tech Diver didn't mention is that you should fit the harness with your exposure protection on as you obviously have less range of motion with a 7mm neoprene suit on than a t-shirt.

I know this has been posted before but here it is again:
http://www.baue.org/faq/backplate_sizing_inline_images.html

Choosing wing and harness/BP is quite a good choice.
However I would like to mention that Dive Rite to me is far better. Halcyon is mostly a fassion string that has few back draws.
I would strongly recomend an ABS backplate if you are looking for light wieght and you don't need much weight or if you want to use a weight belt. The rec wings are also perfect for both single and double tanks and provide all teh extra buoyancy you may need.
The truth is with wings is basicaly all the same, but the harness makes the diference. Try to look for onr that has buckles in the shoulder strap, because that is where most seam to have problems. If you are thinking to use a thin wetsiut too, check for extra paded shoulder covers which make a big diference in confort.
I use diverite ABS back plate with hogartian harness and scubapro rec tec wing. It works good for me and i can put single or double tanks with no problem. For more demanding tek dives in open water I use a scubapro double wing, but they do not make them anymore, so diverite would be an option.
The most important, do not get them just because the bunch has them and they are a fassion. Look for somehing that feels good on you and that is reliable.

Good luck in your search.

el-ninio:
I'm looking for posible problems with this system, thing I should watch out for, reasons not to go forward and switch. I want to know all the dirty secrets that the bp/w missionarys don't want to you to tell me.
If you don't have the harness sized properly life will suck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom