Why ScubaBoard joined the Dive Industry Association at the Surf Expo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Let's be real: The Dive Industry as we know it is in trouble. A half a dozen shops have closed in my area alone in the past few years, and I know of only ONE which has opened... or at least is about to open.

If the rest of the country is having the same issues that Orlando is having, then we have lost a significant portion of our retailers and with the downturn of the DOW in the last couple of days, life looks bleak. Getting tanks filled is getting increasingly hard and the variety of gear available to us locally has also declined. This is something that has bothered me for some time, and yet it seems that many of the industry "leaders" either don't get it, or just don't care!

So, as I was walking through the Surf Expo here in Orlando this past week I was surprised to see the Dive Industry Association there with a few retailers in tow with him. As far as I can tell, they were the ONLY Scuba related exhibitor in the entire show. Sure, I saw few CEOs and Industry Reps walking around, but the only exhibiting was done by those who crossed into the resort or surfing industry. There were a few clothing and wet suit companies, but they didn't have their scuba stuff out for us to look at.

So I had to ask Gene Muchanski, the president and evil genius behind the Dive Industry Association, why he was bucking the tide here at the Surf Expo. We talked for an hour or more and I have to say it was very enlightening. It seems that his presence at the Surf Expo was not an accident. He goes to many of these non-scuba shows just to promote diving! WHOA, what a concept! While others pander to those already addicted to Scuba, Gene is going out to promote Scuba in other sports, and WHY THE HELL NOT?

Well sure, Gene gave me a whole long list of reasons why I should join Dive Industry Association. They are all great and valid reasons and the $100/year dues is way small compared to these benefits. But I joined because I finally saw someone doing something to MAKE A DIFFERENCE in our industry. He is cross promoting Scuba better than any other association out there: He still has the passion!

So please: if you are a part of Scuba Diving, from being a mere diver to even DEMA, you owe it to yourself and to the entire industry to support Gene as he works hard to attract others to OUR sport. He is a beacon in the dark and can do so much more if we only give him a chance! Click on this link and become a Dive Industry Association Member today: Dive Industry Association Application

BTW, I have offered Gene a spot here on ScubaBoard. We would love for him to be a part of our tribe and tell us everything he is doing for our sport! You can encourage him to do this by e-mailing him: Gene@DiveIndustry.net

It is well known that in any economic downturn, "luxury items" and their manufacturers/distributors are the first to take a hit. While I believe that scuba diving is not really as expensive a sport as many people believe (and there have been several posts on ScubaBoard addressing that), nevertheless I think it's the common perception among the public.

But the economic downturn is the reality we'll be dealing with for some time, so I think it's all the more important to promote our sport in other venues. But while the vendors of course want consumers to spend money on their products, I think it's also important to promote the idea that scuba can be a very affordable recreational activity. I hope Mr. Muchanski makes that part of his message as well as supporting his constituents.

>*< Fritz

I have seen Gene but have not spoken with him, perhaps I should...

DEMA's results have not been too good, I understand the industry has been in decline for over a decade (in good times and in bad).

DEMA has determined "our" target market is
  • 38 - 53
  • male
  • Income of $75,000 - $100,000
  • White Collar/ Professional/ Technical/ Management
  • married
(source http://www.dema.org/associations/1017/files/ProfileOfTheMostActiveDivers-2006Study.ppt)

DEMA's research determined the best place to run it's Be-A-Diver commercial was on the Travel Channel, MSNBC, the Golf Channel and CNBC.!? Do you really think that's the future of Diving? (source http://www.dema.org/associations/1017/files/2008-04-14-TVMediaBuy.doc)

Personally I don't think Golfing Baby Boomers are going to suddenly decide to start diving in significant numbers any time soon. I'd much rather see the industry market to the College crowd, X-Gamers, Triathletes, Boaters, Surfers, etc

I have known Gene for almost ten years and have wanted to join his Association for the last two or more, but life and work kept getting in the way! With the success of Reed's Rod my Photo all purpose dive tool it was a natural this year! I hope we can all get behind Gene for our own good and that of the sport we all love! I was struck by the average age of the people at DEMA and it isn't getting better! I was drawn as a starving student in 1972 to SCUBA and I can tell you if it weren't for Cal_Poly Pomona and a small lab fee I would stayed a surfer until I sank my board...... But once in and once I pieced my gear together there was not much that was too expensive to stop me, until I got into Underwater Photography etc. But we need to attract the young through High school and Collage programs to create life long divers and not just semi-retired professionals past their prime! The discover SCUBA pool should be at County Fairs, Swap Meets, Water related events, and sport shows! We need exposure of a positive kind!

We were asked by the Outdoor Channel to develop a SCUBA reality show for their channel only to see a change in management and a new CEO who "Is taking the Channel in a different direction"! They opted for a Elk Hunting show! In this PC world they decided that SCUBA was somewhere behind Elk Hunting! So have we sold our activity as a sport of growth and excitement? Our something akin to Travel for the well fixed and aged?

My concept is and was for the pilot that anyone, even fat old men and beautiful Woman can SCUBA and find adventure and friendship! You don't have to be SCUBA Steve, Loyd Bridges, or Cousteau to be an adventurer and SCUBA diver! Ours is a sport that any and all can do with the right training and understanding of your personal limits! We seem to the "Outside world" as Techies, Superior people with great water skills immune to claustrophobia and drown proof! Sure we need basic skill, but few of us need to be Fhelps to be a good and safe diver! We need to be more inclusive and less exclusive. We need to promote the beauty and ease of Diving, the Social aspects, the friendships, the health of the reefs and oceans and not the so called pending dome that so many would have you sending in your monthly support check to an organization is to see less, Diving, less travel, less of people, and see the glass as half empty! We need to be good stewards of our beloved ocean, but Ansol Adams begged people to come and see the mountains and now we closed most of them to people and I fear the same might happen to us as well!

Anyway, I agree with Steve and urge all involved in the "Dive Industry" to join and join the effort! Today, before it is one of those things we were going to do some day!

I don&#8217;t know Gene from the man-in-moon but if he is out there promoting Scuba, terrific. However, promotion of Scuba in today&#8217;s economy is not going to be easy. Many young people can not afford it and the older crowd, for the most part, has chosen their leisure activities. However, both groups can and must be exposed to diving in order for the sport and it&#8217;s associated industries to thrive.

Today, many baby boomers have the time and many have the income needed to vacation and dive. Marketing to them will require direct and targeted at the activities they currently pursue. The youth that can afford it are smart and savvy. They do research primarily on the web and are attracted to social and interactive websites. The Dive Industry website is a dud. It is outdated and not very friendly or interactive. It does not inspire much confidence. Gene needs ScubaBoard and a partnership with us will certainly benefit them.

I think you missed my point as well as the poster before?! I was a starving student when I followed the path! It is not expensive, it is just not sold like skiing, Water or Snow, it doesn't have its Copper Cove, at least out in public! It doesn't have speed or a finish line, but it does have thrills that need to be exploited!

As far as the Web site, I agree it needs a lot more punch! It looks neglected, but Gene is a people person and not a computer guy! Maybe, Pete will help in that department? We can find a million negatives, but we need to focus on the what if and not I wish someone else will take the challenge for us! We need to think out of the Pool so to speak and at this point anyone pushing forward is okay with me! We need to stop worrying about a cycle in the press, the economy, or an election! I have been diving during a number of these cycles and I am still diving! Collage students find a way to support their activities if they want it bad enough and they have the time! :wink:

Gene is A-1 people in my book.

Side observation:
Among other industry mistakes I believe continuing to label scuba as an "adventure sport" is missing the mark. Today's urban population wants their "adventure" in much more controlled doses that what we're used to.

So, marketing to others and modifying the sport to meet their expectations, to me, is way overdue.

Congrats.

How about "SCUBA make it what you want it to be from Pool to Sea"???? Or "SCUBA anyone can do it, just add water"??? I agree we need to appeal to as many as possible, but we need to appeal to the young adventurer who is looking to put the Cool, the challenge, and the adventure regardless of location into the activity! Back to my point is people need other people to emulate! We need heroes even if they are everyday ones! I think if you take a survey of the most experienced divers here you will find out that most started early and made it a life style and choice.

... I think if you take a survey of the most experienced divers here you will find out that most started early and made it a life style and choice.

Illustrates my point. The world and the people in it have changed. In several different hobbies the historical participants have come from radically different backgrounds and have radically different ideas than people today.

We are a much more urban society today. We have almost completely transitioned from a self-reliant society to one in which the credo is: "Leave it to the experts". Adventure today is defined much differently than it was even 10 years ago. Economics have changed in that there is less of a middle class (economists definition, not politician definition). Don't overlook the cultural effect of computer games either. For many people I know that satisfies their need for "adventure".

I could go on. But, just as many other industries have had to shift their basic paradigm; so must the dive industry or it will shrink. It is a good move to start relating scuba to the other outdoor hobbies. ScubaBoard is, in my opinion, in the vanguard of what must happen if the industry that provides the tools for my fun is going to flourish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom