Why not treat DCS yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My phone says it doesn't exist

My laptop says to disable adblock so I can see it, some phones may not offer that option.

I called DAN when I felt some creepy crawlies in my wrists. They asked me about my dive and I explained the ratio deco I had done on trimix. Once they determined that I was the training director of an agency, they asked me what I was doing at the time we were on the phone. I told them I was breathing O2 and watching the Dallas Cowboys play football. They asked me if I had taken aspirin. I said, "No." They honestly told me to take 2 aspirin, breathe the O2, hydrate, and if I still had a problem the next day to call them in the morning.

They either knew what training directors earn and were trying to save me a few bucks, or they believed that under certain conditions out of the water, it is possible to self-medicate DCS as if it was a sports injury.

? Take two aspirin and call me in the morning? For real?

Why not simply have a spare 100% O2 cylinder in case of emergency, strap it on and go for a second dive?

Because oxygen toxicity will kill you way before the DCS does :eek:

You're probably not going to get deep enough to get any added value from your self decompression

Permanent paralysis has such an ugly sound to it...

My friend got bent, the chamber put a nurse in with her to keep her from convulsing (or anything else) plus the dr. monitored everything thru the glass. Hard to do underwater.

She got bent again a few years later on an island with no chamber. DAN or her insurance paid for a low-level flight to FL.

One of the main reasons why you do NOT want to consider treating DCI yourself is that it is possible it could progress into neurological issues, including the possibility of blacking out. If you black-out while treating yourself in-water, then that could be no bueno.

However, there may be times where it is better to treat yourself. At the 2017 Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Annual Meeting, a workshop was convened to discuss and review the data regarding the pros and cons of in-water recompression. The consensus of the committee members was released in March 2018 in the journal Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine, Vol. 48, Issue 1. In that article is the following statement:

Recompression and hyperbaric oxygen administered in a recompression chamber is acknowledged as the gold standard of care for DCI. However, in locations without ready access to a suitable hyperbaric chamber facility, and if symptoms are significant or progressing, in-water recompression using oxygen is an option. This is only appropriate where groups of divers (including the ‘patient’) have prior relevant training that imparts an understanding of related risks and facilitates a collective acceptance of responsibility for the decision to proceed.

Chambers that will treat divers are becoming scarce. In North Florida, which is known for technical/cave diving, we just recently lost our nearest chamber, which was in southern Georgia (about 2 hours away). If you get bent at a place like Ginnie, your options are Joe Dituri's mobile chamber, or a life flight to West Palm Beach. The option to do IWR may be a more valid option in this area than it was even a year ago, but you need to have a full team to assist, and everyone involve needs to understand the risks (convulsing, dying, making the situation dramatically worse).

A few months back I wrote up an article on IWR for Underwater Speleology, but it hasn't apparently gone to print yet, so I've got it on the internet too.

A Frank Discussion on In-Water Recompression – Dive Gainesville

I called DAN when I felt some creepy crawlies in my wrists. They asked me about my dive and I explained the ratio deco I had done on trimix. Once they determined that I was the training director of an agency, they asked me what I was doing at the time we were on the phone. I told them I was breathing O2 and watching the Dallas Cowboys play football. They asked me if I had taken aspirin. I said, "No." They honestly told me to take 2 aspirin, breathe the O2, hydrate, and if I still had a problem the next day to call them in the morning.

They either knew what training directors earn and were trying to save me a few bucks, or they believed that under certain conditions out of the water, it is possible to self-medicate DCS as if it was a sports injury.

I called DAN when a friend took a type 2 hit after we went to the Green Room. This was back in '97 and DAN wasn't particularly experienced with mixed gas diving. I gave them the profile and it blew their minds, when I explained I got out of the water 30 minutes before my buddy they really flipped (he had a PFO) and wanted me to do a ride too just to be sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom