Why NOT to leave mooring ropes with no bouy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I dived the Benwood off the keys a few weeks ago. This was the sight that I found at the end of the dive. The turtle was very big. Can't say how big for sure but I was told that it was a regular visitor to the wreck. Really sad.

Attachments

• dead t on benwood 200k.jpg
    dead t on benwood 200k.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 192
That's shocking. I just got back from a trip to the keys where my girlfriend and I were diving the Benwood twice. I'm confused - I thought it is illegal to use anything but the existing moorings? Also, why would anyone use a mooring without a buoy in the first place? I couldn't tell from the picture whether the turtle got entrapped in the line or what exactly happened?

It appears as if the two rope loops were old mooring tie off lines. Basically you attach an additional tie off rope with a buoy to the loop.

The turtle must have been grazing algae or something else off the structure and the rope got tangles around its neck. There is a STRONG current there. The rest is easy to deduce.

That's too bad. I was there just about a week ago and no one had metioned that this had happened. Tragic.

Back
Top Bottom