why not enable the members list?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namelz52

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99

namelz52:

The answer to this depends on what the member's list contains...If it only has usernames, it is nearly worthless...

If it contains email addresses, it can easily be harvested...

Not speaking for the admins of SB, but this might be one thing they considered.

Email is always private (users who opt to allow it can recieve emails through the board from other members but that's the farthest it goes). As for the list its self, basically people have used it to mine data in the past which is clearly not something we want happening.

I just want to find the young people who like diving

OMG... Ladies and gentlemen, Michael Jackson has joined SB!!!!

Quick, hide your kids...

LUBOLD8431:
OMG... Ladies and gentlemen, Michael Jackson has joined SB!!!!

Quick, hide your kids...

what do you mean?

Your signature line scares me. Then I checked your profile, and your only 16.
So, I guess its OK...

I belong to two other forums that uses the same software and they allow registered members to view the list. It helps when you want to PM someone or to find the members web site. We don't get spam from anyone because the e-mail addresses are hidden.

I understand some forums allow this and there are some benefits, clearly the feature exists for a reason. However, we have had problems with this feature before like I mentioned. Basically people use the list to send out spam via PM (it's slow but it works) and there has been some serious data mining going on as well. Like with all choices it's too bad everyone has to suffer for the actions of the few but thus far I can't see any way to avoid the problems while allowing for the benefits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom