Why not do my DM on Koh Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey guys,

as someone working a PADI Course Director on Koh Tao since 1998 at bans diving and know personally manager matt (crystal) and mark (buddha) and not working there anymore (in red sea teaching technical diving :) i can honestly say that i have not seen a place so far that offer better value for money when it comes to the dm program. unlimited diving and on top of that quality instruction (at bans there is actally a cd teaching the program) for 25000baht plus books. if i were a fundiver and had not intention of becoming a pro i would still sign up just for the dives :). so my point koh tao does not have the best diving, its not red sea for sure, but its an amazing little place and close to my heart and honestly you cant go wrong with any of the three places mention. also ace marine mentioned (chris clark the owner is also a good friend so again biased perhaps he he) is a great place to learn vdo. choose koh tao and choose any of the mention divecenters and you will have an amazing start of you career as a dive pro. then of course when its time to tech its much better instruction in dahab (by my that is :)!!! you are going to have the best time of your life. please keep us update who you picked and please say hello to the managers (tim hunt padi cd is teaching the dm course at bans) and cds in the place from me. i have an amazing time over here and doing 100+ meter dives each day in blue hole and canyons etc but koh tao is koh tao!!! take care and dive safe out there.

kind regards
jonas samuelsson
platinum padi course director/dsat trimix instructor trainer/tdi cave instructor
member of the fourth element dive team
Fourth Element Dive Team

AWARD WINNING PADI IDC AND TECHNICAL DIVING
jonas@kohtao-idc-group.com
orca dive center - dahab, sinai, egypt (tech)
u-dive - eilat, israel (idc)

I did my DM at Ban's with a certain Mr. Jonas :)lol:) and had a great time, and learned a great deal. Yeah, I've done better diving since, but as the man above said - Koh Tao is Koh Tao.....

But if you fancy looking elsewhere, why not try the Philippines....... :D

Hi guys!

I(m leaving for Thailand on Tuesday! Will be doing some fundiving on the Westcoast & then do my DM with Wicked Diving in Khao Lak in January & February. After that it's off to Koh Tao for the videography...
So if anyone can offer me some cool & affordable diving in places like Puhket, Lanta or Phi Phi, get in touch & I'll see you in a week ;-)

recently had a few days at crystal divers on ko tao, had a great time more for the social side than the diving, diving was ok but all sites were grossly over dived, i got the feeling that the island is just one big money making machine with very little personal service, even had to hump all your own gear onto and off the boat & those with rental gear had to hump it all back to the dive centre and wash it themselves before handing it in, however the price of training here is unbeatable and the DMTs i spoke to were having the time of their lives, maybe next winter i will have a few months on the island myself.

....very little personal service, even had to hump all your own gear onto and off the boat & those with rental gear had to hump it all back to the dive centre and wash it themselves before handing it in,....

That's pretty standard in a lot of places. It's part of diving experience :wink:

That's pretty standard in a lot of places. It's part of diving experience :wink:

a little assistance from the boat boys would be nice, i am more than capable of carrying my own gear but when there is a load of open water student backpackers falling all over the place cos your having to cross 2 boats it starts to get a bit chaotic.

a little assistance from the boat boys would be nice, i am more than capable of carrying my own gear but when there is a load of open water student backpackers falling all over the place cos your having to cross 2 boats it starts to get a bit chaotic.

Just wait until you start diving in the UK. :D

I have fond memories of my favorite boat captain in Plymouth...

"Get your f&@king kit on my 'effing boat now! I haven't got all 'effing day to wait! Get your 'effing gear assembled quickly now! Right, we are there..... get off my 'effing boat this instant! Don't just 'effing float there!...It's not a strong 'effing current...swim you lazy 'effer!"

It became quite endearing after a while! :rofl3:

If someone wants their own gear carried to the dive boat for them, then I would want to see proof of their disability.

If someone wants their own gear carried to the dive boat for them, then I would want to see proof of their disability.

although i dont mind carrying my own gear, i have dived at 3 centres in the philippines and ALL have carried my gear without me requesting any assistance. i think from the centres point of view it makes more sense to get the gear on the boat and get going as quick as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom