why not beat the dead horse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my buddy and I debated the purpose of the gear removal. I said I do not foresee where I would ever take off my BP/W because it contains my life support. His argument was what if you get entangled. My response to that was, teammate helps you.
Still, even if I never intend to do that, it was a drill and part of the class. I saw several things that I believe would never happen if you follow DIR diving philosophies but then again, not everyone does so there may come a time when I will try to rescue one of the ones who have not yet tasted the kool aid.
And as part of the CPR, you can whisper subliminals so once they are rivived, they have this overwhelming urge to get a long hose.

Carribeandiver:
my buddy and I debated the purpose of the gear removal. I said I do not foresee where I would ever take off my BP/W because it contains my life support. His argument was what if you get entangled. My response to that was, teammate helps you.
Still, even if I never intend to do that, it was a drill and part of the class. I saw several things that I believe would never happen if you follow DIR diving philosophies but then again, not everyone does so there may come a time when I will try to rescue one of the ones who have not yet tasted the kool aid.
And as part of the CPR, you can whisper subliminals so once they are rivived, they have this overwhelming urge to get a long hose.

You may find yourself diving in the WKPP and having to get out of yoru harness to get into an inverted feed trough for decompression. :wink: There aren't many instances where getting out of your harness is an option, but it's a nice to know skill.

amascuba:
Basically you and your buddy had to exchange all gear, well mostly all gear (mask,fins,weight belt (if used), bcd) while being stressed, which in this case is buddy breathing. You had to work together to accomplish a common goal. We were a bit slow at first, but after a couple minutes we were working together pretty well.

Yeah, it's the drysuit exchange in 55F water that really blows tho :)

limeyx:
Yeah, it's the drysuit exchange in 55F water that really blows tho :)

I would rather fail the class and be forced to pee in my drysuit than do that. :D

Carribeandiver:
I think the purpose of the drill is task loading and water comfort. I don't think it has anything to do with entanglements, fending off sharks with pig stickers, or out running boulders like Indiana Jones. :wink:

So if diver A hands his BP/ wing to diver B...and diver B hands Diver A his non weight integrated BC...how does diver A stay down?

amascuba:
Basically you and your buddy had to exchange all gear, well mostly all gear (mask,fins,weight belt (if used), bcd) while being stressed, which in this case is buddy breathing. You had to work together to accomplish a common goal. We were a bit slow at first, but after a couple minutes we were working together pretty well.

Of course this was all done while hovering 6 feet from the bottom and not going up or down more than a foot or two. Right?

all4scuba05:
So if diver A hands his BP/ wing to diver B...and diver B hands Diver A his non weight integrated BC...how does diver A stay down?

Diver B passes the weight belt as well.

nadwidny:
Of course this was all done while hovering 6 feet from the bottom and not going up or down more than a foot or two. Right?

Since when does PADI teach you to do anything while hovering? :D

Now back to the subject at hand. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to share an interesting story with Caribbeandiver.

amascuba:
You may find yourself diving in the WKPP and having to get out of yoru harness to get into an inverted feed trough for decompression. :wink: There aren't many instances where getting out of your harness is an option, but it's a nice to know skill.

I know you were kidding, but this is actually what they do when the get off the rebreathers for deco. They used to go to a sidemount type deal but I don't know if they still do that anymore.

In any case, there is a team of assist divers there to help them with this change. And no, they don't have to hover!

:)

speaking of hovering. Since I am always trying to perform in the DIR style, mostly unsuccessfully but it beats not trying, I was trying to hover while everyone else was standing on the bottom -- fins flat on the bottom of the pool. I remember looking at each one and thinking how it reminded me of Jules Vern and those movies where the divers walked on the bottom. I also was thinking how do they do that? They were like they were nailed down.
I was feeling pretty superior almost hovering with almost good buoyancy and trim and then once I began unhooking this and removing that, puff, it all went to pot. But I never did the stand on the bottom thing and I never did the intentional vertical ( my semi-verticals were against my will and best efforts.)
Also, as I mentioned, the water was 88F. When we got to the pool I put my foot in and thought I am going to try this with no suit and still I felt drained. Everyone else wore a 3mm. And I thought I was a WWW, geez these guys make me look good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom