Why no WARM UP when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bill.
I was interested in your question about warming up before diving. My background is sports medicine as well as being a master scuba diver with 35 years of experience, so I thought I'd give this a shot. Warming up is generally thought to make the soft tissues in the body more pliable. The theory is that it prevents injuries. While that would seem to make sense intuitively, there is actually no "scientific" proof that this is so. The reason that no proof exists is that no credible scientist would expose people intentionally to injury to prove the point. A couple of years ago, a study was done at UNLV which found that athletic performance was actually negatively affected by warm-ups. Wierd huh?

What may be more inportant for divers than warming up is making certain that we are in good overall condition before diving. A general fitness program will probably go farther in preventing injuries, or more importantly heart attacks in divers.

Having said that, I personally believe that it may be a good idea to at least stretch the muscles of the low back, hamstrings and shoulders before lifting and manhandling heavy diving gear. If nothing else, it will remind you to be careful during the entire dive experience. I would invite other diving medical professionals to comment.

Dr. Mark Poray

I often don't warm-up before diving, just as I often didn't before surfing, kayaking, etc. After visiting a chiropractor complaining of muscle tightness in my shoulders after surfing and kayaking, he defined a stretching / warmup routine. I really had to discipline myself to take those few minutes to go through the routine, but noticed a DEFINITE difference once I was in the water. Once I get warmed up aerobically, I find exertion doesn't "wind" me as much, and I found that I had increased endurance, even for sprint type exertions, as well as prolonged exertion. As a long distance cyclist, I can tell you it is critical to slowly warm up properly before a long ride. Now, for some reason, warming up was never taught in diving. I've been diving since 1985, and this is the first I've heard of it, but I know I often get a little winded at the beginning of a swim out, or first of a dive, but just know that as I continue swimming, I'll "warm-up".

The point is just as was mentioned before, a warm-up can help ensure that you're ready to perform EARLY in the dive in the event an emergency occurs. As a younger man, I was what my instructor now refers to as a "cowboy"... pushing the limits in most everything I did. Now with years of experience, I know it is better to be prepared. I'm working on now becoming an instructor, and I can guarantee one thing I'll emphasize to all my students is the stretching and warm-up, just as importantly as the equipment checklist.

I'll be interested to hear what the Dr. says, but I'm betting he'll be in agreement.

Thanks Manni... for pointing out what should have been obvious!

Sorry.. my first post here and I didn't notice there were 6 pages to this thread. Subsequently, I saw the replies from research suggesting strenuous activity before a dive may NOT be good. Although I was not referring to anything strenuous or aerobically demanding, still I stand corrected!

However, I do think a stretching routine to loosen up can definitely be beneficial.

I have scoliosis and I can tell within a couple of minutes of getting wet if I forgot to do my back stretches prior to gearing up. My breathing is shallower due to tightness in chest, center upper back, and shoulders. I'm not breathing from my diaphragm as much as using my rib cage, an automatic upper back pain avoidance strategy that works fine above water buy uses much more gas when the supply is limited.

Summary: a good shoulder, upper spine, and mid-spine stretch results in 25-50% more time on shallower divers. ESPECIALLY once I get chilled.

A couple of years ago, a study was done at UNLV which found that athletic performance was actually negatively affected by warm-ups. Wierd huh?

Very Interesting. I would love to see the study design and controls.

I am no professional athlete - but I can tell you that even to this day in competition - I perform significantly better and have more "gas" after a good warm up - not considering the "less potential for injuries" angle at all -

Also - you cant go to a professional level competition WITHOUT seeing a warm up (unless you get there late) - and those are the peope mostly affected.

Do you know of a link to the study - I would like to read it over.

My purpose to the thread was not a preddive "work out" - I was just wondering about potential benefits behind a basic .....warm up!:) and stretch.

Also - I notice that MAN divers are out of shape and would be less likely to warm up
since they are less likely to excercise.

An "out of shape" person WOULD get a workout from just the warm up, where to someone in shape - it would be a walk in the park!

Thanks for all the contributions to the thread -

I've read a number of responses in this thread Bill and there are some great points as you know. Some of the docs have given thoughtful answers but seem to have skirted your question. Points like warming up before stretching are valid and Nitrogen gas uptake being increased by divers following exercise is quite true.
The question then is, is warming up appropriate before diving? Since stretching is best done following warming up the connective tissue and warming up these tissues (1 celcius degree) requires some dynamic activity, the question really is moot. I've also mentioned a study done at UNLV in 2008. This limk will take you to summary of the paper: medicalnewstoday.com/articles/122341.php. To get the actual study you may have to do a search.

I am on the medical staff of a professional sports team and our training staff has adjusted the pre-game warm-ups to ensure the players are prepped psychologically without detracting from their potential performance. So even though they still warm up, it's been updated.

Having said all this, plus having gone on record as being in favour of an overall conditioning program which includes cardio, strengthening and plenty of pool time working on swimmiing skills and breath control, I will admit that I think a warm-up before diving is a great idea. If you're going diving off a boat, do your stretches before slinging your gear aboard. If you're diving from shore, the stretches can be done just before you gear up. These stretches should be systematic, meaning work from head to toe or something like that so you don't forget any part of your body.

Dr. Mark Poray:vintagediver:

Last edited:
For those divers for whom getting into the suit is enough of a warm-up . . . . . Don't ask to dive with me !

Hear, Hear ! This debate has in the minds - of some respondents - become confused; - Meaning that the original question was about warm-up before diving. This in turn takes us to the question of divers and their physical fitness, drawing attention to the fact that during the infancy of (recreational) SCUBA diving, the 1950'ies, nearly everybody were young and fit (the 1950'ies was a time before junk food and sugar rich drinks, before the epidemic of cancer, heart disease and Type 2 diabetes) Read Cousteau's "The Complete Manual of Free Diving", chapter VIII, first paragraph, Physical Fitnes; - a nine line mention about fitness, . . . Why ? - Because it was ASSUMED that everyone was fit, and it actually say so. Regretabbly times have chaged, and the physical fitness of the industrialised populations is, as we all know, abyssmal. When I dive with other people, these days, - I take a real good look at the people around me, male and female, - I watch them struggle into their wetsuits, etc., and politly decline to 'Buddy-Up' with those who, as a result of 'suiting up' are now fighting for breath or look like a high blood-pressure case; - 'Buddy-Up' with obviously obese divers is of course equally politly declined.
In this context it is worth a mention that all decompression tables were designed for military applications - originally, - and have not changed to a level that can accomodate the lifestyle 'baggage' carried by some 30% of the population (including divers). Deco instruments do not make allowances either.
In these days of rampant negligence litigation (by 'ambulance chasing' lawyers) I find it astonishing that Diving Instructors and Dive Masters will expose themselves to the risk of letting people dive, in instances where such individuals are a danger to themselves and the divers around them. . . . Equally regrettable is the fact that the diver training organisations, PADI, SDI, SSI, NAUI, etc. have for years been in denial about the problem, - and still are, - and furthermore, they have failed altogether in 'seeing' the obvious commercial opportunities in relation to diver fitness.
. . .. Diver physical fitness is not about 'pumpimg iron' for an hour before one dives; - it is obviously about changing lifestyle; - adopt a regular routine to obtain an appropriate level of aerobic fitness (ask the local Fitness Centre if the Dive shop people are not on this channel) - change diet to one that is mostly without junk food (nil mackers & coke or kfc & coke, or equivalent) - Warm-up before diving can be a few squats, or try standing, balancing on one leg for 1 minute each leg as a warm-up, and see how that impacts your breating and pulse ! - Then followed by stretching; - reaching your tank valve(s) could come in handy one day.

Cheers

Leslie Brix-Nielsen
Started diving in 1963 . . . and haven't stopped yet

In this context it is worth a mention that all decompression tables were designed for military applications - originally, - and have not changed to a level that can accomodate the lifestyle 'baggage' carried by some 30% of the population (including divers). Deco instruments do not make allowances either.

All decompression tables, all of them? The PADI RDP (probably the most used table) developed by a recreational agency and called the Recreational Dive Planner. The BSAC '88 tables developed by the British Sub Aqua Club, all developed for the military. VPM one of the most widely used technical decompression algorithms, developed for Professional and Recreation divers.
In addition the the "young, fit" military divers were explected to be carry out hard physical labour at depth, not swim about looking at the squidge/spidge.

The fact is that experts in deco theory and medicine have replied and said "Hmm, probably not such a good idea to be doing any strenuous exercise just before diving", and others have pointed out that, for instance, the French military (yes the military which you think ALL deco algorithms are built for) have shown that "warm-ups" before exercise actual cause as many if not more injuries than they prevent during any subsequent exercise (you know injuries that can create nucleation sites and micro nucli for bubbles to form) but because this goes against certain health nuts pet theories they are discounted.

And that Bret Gilliam wow look at him no way I'm buddying with him he must be a **** diver look how much weight he is carrying around!!

I've read a number of responses in this thread Bill and there are some great points as you know. Some of the docs have given thoughtful answers but seem to have skirted your question. Points like warming up before stretching are valid and Nitrogen gas uptake being increased by divers following exercise is quite true.
The question then is, is warming up appropriate before diving? Since stretching is best done following warming up the connective tissue and warming up these tissues (1 celcius degree) requires some dynamic activity, the question really is moot. I've also mentioned a study done at UNLV in 2008. This limk will take you to summary of the paper: medicalnewstoday.com/articles/122341.php. To get the actual study you may have to do a search.

I am on the medical staff of a professional sports team and our training staff has adjusted the pre-game warm-ups to ensure the players are prepped psychologically without detracting from their potential performance. So even though they still warm up, it's been updated.

Having said all this, plus having gone on record as being in favour of an overall conditioning program which includes cardio, strengthening and plenty of pool time working on swimmiing skills and breath control, I will admit that I think a warm-up before diving is a great idea. If you're going diving off a boat, do your stretches before slinging your gear aboard. If you're diving from shore, the stretches can be done just before you gear up. These stretches should be systematic, meaning work from head to toe or something like that so you don't forget any part of your body.

Dr. Mark Poray:vintagediver:
This was very good input. Thanks for some professional information!

And as for those who would post saying something to the effect that "if you're struggling getting on your wetsuit, don't dive with me", I'd only hope you're a solo diver. That selfish immaturity does NOT belong in diving... especially recreational diving. I'd feel sorry for anyone who would be foolish enough to dive with you, regardless how fit they were.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom