Why no stainless steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like previously stated stainless will harden from the stretch of the cylinder every time it's charged and discharged. In time it will rupture. Ever wonder why axles on boats aren't made of stainless? The reason is they will just break after a short time of flexing from the road shock. :wink:

Agreed, they will eventually rapture in about 300 years!!!

Agreed, they will eventually rapture in about 300 years!!!

I wouldn't think 300 years or anything close to that, much sooner. Think about steel tanks that go back for forth or fifth hydro and they are close to failing. Stainless is much worse or like I said axles would be made from SS. I had a stainless rock anchor on a 40 foot boat after about 20 times straightening the flukes back they would fail and break. Steel would last years without a problem.Don't take my word just ask an engineer why there are no SS tanks.

Stainless is pretty, but expensive. I will settle for a silver chrome plastic tank, to satisfy my diving bling.

If stainless steel works well as a Time Machine made out of a Delorean, I wouldnt think that a scuba tank would be a problem.

In that case, the real problem is getting the tank up to speed. Probably need split fins. :D

Like previously stated stainless will harden from the stretch of the cylinder every time it's charged and discharged. In time it will rupture. Ever wonder why axles on boats aren't made of stainless? The reason is they will just break after a short time of flexing from the road shock. :wink:

Axles on boats? Do you mean paddle steamers?

I wouldn't think 300 years or anything close to that, much sooner. Think about steel tanks that go back for forth or fifth hydro and they are close to failing. Stainless is much worse or like I said axles would be made from SS. I had a stainless rock anchor on a 40 foot boat after about 20 times straightening the flukes back they would fail and break. Steel would last years without a problem.Don't take my word just ask an engineer why there are no SS tanks.

Please forget about axles and anchors and speak to someone in a metallurgy domain that understands the scuba cylinder construction and working pressure/cycles before you make statements like you do. Then please ask the members on this board who own old steel cylinders (older than 20 years +) that are still in date and working fine. Then please visit any welding outfit and ask how many old steel cylinders they have, how much pressure cycle they have been subjected to. Then please ask these individual how many years of further service they expect out of them and them come back and tell your story again of rapture within a couple of hydro cycles.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards
ajduplessis

In that case, the real problem is getting the tank up to speed. Probably need split fins. :D

And a Canister light to generate the 1.21 gigawatts

Please forget about axles and anchors and speak to someone in a metallurgy domain that understands the scuba cylinder construction and working pressure/cycles before you make statements like you do. Then please ask the members on this board who own old steel cylinders (older than 20 years +) that are still in date and working fine. Then please visit any welding outfit and ask how many old steel cylinders they have, how much pressure cycle they have been subjected to. Then please ask these individual how many years of further service they expect out of them and them come back and tell your story again of rapture within a couple of hydro cycles.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards
ajduplessis

Sorry, the rapture has been delayed
:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom