Why no cover on SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ragnar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I searched a lot and can't find or think of a good reason for this? Thanks!

Cause you need to read it? :)

If you're refering to a metal grid to protect it from impact, a few do have it. And Trident and all the lil gadget makers make generic ones.

Ragnar:
I searched a lot and can't find or think of a good reason for this? Thanks!

My thoughts on this are since the Hogarthian style is "minimalist", why would you want a cover/boot on the SPG in the first place? :wink:

Safe diving,

Rich

If by cover, you are refering to the boot, then there is a reason. The rubber boot on the SPG can hide a small leak that is developing in your SPG. Since small leaks become big ones, it is better to detect it at the onset and repair it for a dive so it does not become an issue during the dive.

If you are refering to a guage guard, simply no reason for them. SPG is clipped off an not in danger of impact, so if you don't need, don't carry it.

Jeff

Most spg,s are glass where as most comps are plastic ,glass is less prone to scratches than plastic . Thats my theory but hey what do I know.

MY SPG has worked just fine without a guard. Why use something that you don't need?

The boot also traps water, leading to corrosion, especially if you dive salt water.

Roak

Thanks all:wink:

Yeah, I meant boot. I do have a plastic guard on my computer, but that's a wrist mount.

The corrosion thing I could see. Small leak detection? Maybe. I guess I just like the

sound of rubber hitting the ground, dive boat floors, whatever, better than metal. I'm

easy on my gear......but it still happens:)

Many of my HOG buddies leave the boot on their SPG. Not a big deal.

theskull

Also ....

if your spg gets wedged in an obstruction while cave diving the lack of a compressable plastic boot makes it less likely that it will get firmly wedged in/stuck and makes it easier to get out.

Sure you need to have your spg unclipped to do this - or enjoy worming your way through KY-catagory restrictions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom