why no Air2 designed to be detachable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anno

Reaction score
hi there,

a friend of mine just completed his OW and AOW and is seeking his set of gear to purchase, he raised a question which is quite a new idea to me, currently, all air2 setups are designed to be stuck at the end of the BCD power inflator hose and one has no choice of using air2 unless he/she owns a BCD to fix the air2 to the end of power inflator hose. he wonders why there isn't any air2 designed to be "detachable" similar to detachable "dive alert" whistle so that anyone could use own Air2 with any rented BCD when needed, is there such detachable air2 in the market or is there any other concern why it isn't available?

thanks for any insight.

cheers, anno

anno:
hi there,

a friend of mine just completed his OW and AOW and is seeking his set of gear to purchase, he raised a question which is quite a new idea to me, currently, all air2 setups are designed to be stuck at the end of the BCD power inflator hose and one has no choice of using air2 unless he/she owns a BCD to fix the air2 to the end of power inflator hose. he wonders why there isn't any air2 designed to be "detachable" similar to detachable "dive alert" whistle so that anyone could use own Air2 with any rented BCD when needed, is there such detachable air2 in the market or is there any other concern why it isn't available?

thanks for any insight.

cheers, anno

Backup 2nd stage "OCTO" is available and widely used instead of air2!

The fitting on the Air2 is larger for the increased airflow requirments ness. for the reg. The small fitting on the rental reg. would not work for the Air2 and they probably wouldn't want you removeing there inflator asm. ether

DB

thanks for the reply Teddy, i share the same thoughts that a lot more divers are relying on octopus instead of an air2 setup. it's just that some people prefer more on the streamlineness (one less hose and one less backup 2nd stage) and so there's demand for air2 for some, the question is only about why air2 is designed as "non-detachable", not that whether air2 or octopus is the better choice for discussion. thanks.

cheers. anno

I think if really want to solve the problem of flow rate, just use the similar hose as air2 to connect to the "detachable air2", then the other end which can use a samller standard connector which can be connected to any BCD's LPI.

Is that what your means, Anno?

yes, cat, thanks for your input, i should have clarified my thoughts about the possible setup.

I understand the Atomic SS1 is detachable and supposedly superior to the Air2 (according to my LDS)

It's not detachable because there's a cable running inside the larger hose, from the Air-2 to the shoulder dump valve.

Terry

anno:
hi there,

thanks for any insight.

cheers, anno

Back
Top Bottom