Why my pictures s*ks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sergio,

Underwater photos are "challenging".

As Gillighan said, you want a camera with full manual and raw capability. That gives you far more control over the photos.

There is another major problem with underwater photography. All of the red light is gone after you get below 15'. If you want "natural" colors in your photos, you have to replace the light. That means you need a strobe or better yet 2 strobes.

Also, water always has little particles in it. That makes photos look pretty messy. A way to cut down on this is to get really close to your subject. It is best to shoot wide angle which means either a high end point and shoot with a wet lens that gives you wide angle for your high end housing or a DSLR.

None of this comes cheap or easy unfortunately. I have a Canon G11 and it is a good camera. The Canon S95 is also high regarded. Then there are the DSLRs which really means by my way of thinking either a Nikon or a Canon.

1). Strobe or strobes to provide balanced light.
2). Wide angle lens to benefit from the strobe(s).
3). Better camera selection with more manual control and RAW capability.

IMO, any photo taken more than about five feet distance will sxxk, thus strobes for fill and wide angle lenses to get in close and still have a useful field of view.

N

Ok, I will try the GoPro first, then GoPro+Strobes and then if I'm not yet satisfied I will buy an underwater case for my Nikon D70, or better yet I will upgrade to the D7000.
90% I will stop at the first step :D

GoPro plus lens fix it's already fine enough for me.

Ok, I will try the GoPro first, then GoPro+Strobes and then if I'm not yet satisfied I will buy an underwater case for my Nikon D70, or better yet I will upgrade to the D7000.
90% I will stop at the first step :D

I shoot D7000s underwater. Go ahead and bite the bullet.

Imagine this...............
PM8_1733.jpg

Shooting the D70 won't give you much better results than you have today. The dynamic range and color processor suck.

You can at least tackle the overexposure problem by using the exposure compensation controls on your camera. I looked at the manual to be sure you had one. Check page 34, I think.

Another thing about RED, if your subject is 10 ft away then no matter how powerful your flash is 20 ft of water will reduce the red to almost 0 (why 20 ft remember there and back), this applies to a lesser extent with yellow and green.

So the mantra is get close, and when you are close you are still to far away so get closer, repeat until you bump into your subject.

Back
Top Bottom