Why my pictures s*ks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sergio Longhi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
That's basically it.
The camera it's a compact Nikon S5100, not a DLR but outside of water I can shoot decent pictures.
Underwater seems that most of the time the white or some other setting goes simply way off.

Some example of the pictures done today here, what can be the reason of so much difference?

Me, quite good, considering that we are underwater.
My friend (pic717), awful picture overexposed (most of them are like this :()
Bubbles, very clear.

Attachments

• DSCN0676.jpg
    DSCN0676.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN0715.jpg
    DSCN0715.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN0723.jpg
    DSCN0723.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 94
Hi Sergio,

Your camera does not have manual modes so you cannot set the shutter speed or F stop. Your camera does not have Custom White Balance capability and lastly your camera does not have RAW capability, only JPEG. Considering that you are limited to auto settings and for non-strobe shots you get "blue" photos. You can use your built in flash for the macro shots.

Solution for that camera:
If you have Photoshop download the "underwater correction" action file (.atn file) from THIS WEBSITE. This process will restore the colors to many of your "bluish" non-strobe shots.
OR
Purchase a "Magic Filter" which is specifically designed for cameras like yours. It will however prevent you from using your built in flash since the internal filter goes inside the housing over the camera lens and would yield red photos if you use the flash. The company does have a new external model but you need a threaded lens port on your housing to attach it. That model would allow you to still use your flash for macro shots by detaching the filter underwater. Check out THEIR WEBSITE for details.

Other than that your only other option is to purchase a new camera and housing with manual features and RAW capability. RAW is a must for non-strobe shots since it allows you to adjust the white balance in post-processing.

This is one of your photos after I applied the "underwater correction" process in Photoshop. I also adjusted the "levels", "vibrance" and "sharpness". I think the Magic Filter is a better solution but keep in mind it is for shallower depths.

sergio_longhi.jpg

Some example of the pictures done today here, what can be the reason of so much difference?

Difference = distance to camera lens + light absorption in water.

As Gilligan stated, your camera doesn't provide custom settings that would allow you to dictate the ambient light or white balance levels.

The solution is post-editing/digital manipulation of the images.

The 'Underwater Actions' filter in Photoshop generally does a good job of improvements, but it isn't foolproof and sometimes won't provide the best results. It is, after all, just a pre-set series of adjustments.

I prefer to manipulate my images manually - thus ensuring the best possible outcome.

Here's my process: 5 Minute Photoshop Edit for Underwater Photographs

Thank you for the answers, that's exactly what I was afraid of :(
I can correct picture with Photoshop using levels, color, saturation and hue correction, no problem about that, but I had obviously to change my camera.

The housing for the D70 is to expensive so, forget about it :D
I recently bought a GoPro HD camera, let's hope it can handle the few light there is underwater with that good focal and fixed focus.
I was looking also to the Intova IC12, or IC14, they should be made to take pictures underwater, what do you think about it?

Another option is to get a wide-angle 'wet' lens for your existing housing. This would allow you to cut the distance between camera and subject, thus preserving colour.

Another option is to get a wide-angle 'wet' lens for your existing housing. This would allow you to cut the distance between camera and subject, thus preserving colour.

Unfortunately I already hate that housing, I bought it trusting the clerk's shop (biggest mistake ever that can be done), it has only two buttons, one for on/off and another for take pictures :( I rather prefer not to invest any more money in it.

Intova IC 14 should be enough before go to the SLR step, it also have strobes for few money.
Any feedback on that? IC14 Digital Camera with Waterproof Housing | Intova

Last edited:
This is something I tried to correct few weeks ago.
Some other times everything is just a spot between white and light blue.

Attachments

• DSCN0618-p.jpg
    DSCN0618-p.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0618.jpg
    DSCN0618.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 54
Thx primus, great tutorial, anyway my main concern is to realize good pictures in the first place, please check this out, made from 40 cm, torch light on the subject, completely different. The picture is untouched.

Attachments

• DSCN0642.jpg
    DSCN0642.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 235
Although I know almost nothing about photography, I am, like you, using a camera with minimal functionality I can manipulate. Macro allows you to get enough of your flash light on the subject to bring out the missing colors. Nothing is going to make a camera like ours shoot wide-angle that isn't blue . . .

Back
Top Bottom