Why is sea water salty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should have told them to go look it up. That would have given you time to hit the Internet and try to get a good answer.

heya guys,
just saw this one and thought i'd give the simple explenation. mineral ions such as Sodium and chloride come from rocks, from the land. they get washed into the sea. ofcourse this happens with all the other ions as well so why does NaCl build up to such high concentrations? this is to do with residence time. the residence time is the amount of time it talke for one molecule of the substace to enter and be removed from the system ie the oceans. the residence time for sodium and chloriode ions is very high (thousands of years). this is because there is little removing forces. therefor because it is always being added and rarely being removed it builts up causing the sea to be salty.

had to write this quick as got another blood oceanography lecture to run to hope it explains it a little.

confused? message me and i will try harder to explain

Griff

Nut Bubblefish:
My 9 years old asked me the question this week end, and I could not recall of a satisfactory answer. Who has one?

That's not too difficult !!! Mine once asked me why water feels wet ?? I didn't have the answer then and I still don't know the answer !!!!

2 possible explainations:
1. Rain falls on the earth. Waters the earth, and runnoff goes into the sea. The salt is there to purify the water before it evaporates to rise and become rain and start all over again.

2. Fish taste better with salt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom