Why is Reef Photo so much more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that I don't spend a lot of money with Reef but when I do, I get the most excellent service. In fact, I think that if all businesses aspired to their level of customer service, the world would be a much more pleasant place. And I told them that in person at Beneath the Sea.:D
I had a lot of problems with a Fisheye Focus light and they were super about replacing it in a timely manner when I told them I needed it for a trip. I lost a part of my housing on the panga in Galapagos and needed a replacement part. When it was taking a long time and I was about to leave for a trip, they looked around the shop and found a used one that they sent to me right away. They repaired another housing in the shop while I waited. I love them!!

Nemrod I have stopped dealing with Reef for exactly the reason you stated.I have,in the past ,purchased two housings 4 strobes and various other products from them for a sizeable amount of money.During my last purchase of a strobe there was something rattling in the strobe and I asked if I could send it back and they said "If you pay the shipping you can".Needless to say I payed the shipping got a new one and never bought from them again.To me that was the easiest way to deal with them.

Mike & Ryan pretty much said it. I can say that it is a very busy season and while I try to take time to talk to folks, sometimes you just have to cut them off so that you can get some shipping done! Email is a much better way to get help a lot of the time.

I can say that if you're buying a camera - that many of the NY shops sell BELOW their cost - only to get you to buy overpriced accessories and play other games. I can't, and won't, compete with this lowest price, no-matter-what mentality. Manufacturers try to cut them off and they just say "nah, nah we bought like 10,000 units and we don't care."

I guess that's fine for consumers if you don't care about service or need help. LOTS of time I go to bat (and I know Ryan and Mike do too) with a manufacturer for a customer's warranty issue, or we personally dive the gear and figure out what's going on. Or cross ship a unit so they can go on a trip. Or do whatever it takes. This has a price.

That being said, I think most of the pricing is pretty competitive. Sometimes also we get caught up in the Yen exchange game and other Asian internet stores get better (or more recent) exchange rates.

I might add we also support this board...

Jack

Yeah, I take full blame. I was wound up over other things and it probably bled into the phone call and more so into my temper afterward. It takes two to tango or whatever they say. So, at that, there is no further need on my part to beat up on Reef.

As a salesman friend once told me, there are two pricing strategies, one includes intangibles such as service and the other is here's your dam-n strobe and don't let me ever see you again till you want to buy something else. It is reasonable for full service shops to charge more up front to cover the backside intangibles. I guess I forgot that lesson.

N

LOTS of time I go to bat (and I know Ryan and Mike do too) with a manufacturer for a customer's warranty issue, or we personally dive the gear and figure out what's going on.

Jack

Yep. That is exactly what they did for my Fisheye.

Yeah, I take full blame. I was wound up over other things and it probably bled into the phone call and more so into my temper afterward. It takes two to tango or whatever they say. So, at that, there is no further need on my part to beat up on Reef.

As a salesman friend once told me, there are two pricing strategies, one includes intangibles such as service and the other is here's your dam-n strobe and don't let me ever see you again till you want to buy something else. It is reasonable for full service shops to charge more up front to cover the backside intangibles. I guess I forgot that lesson.

N

Don't beat yourself up. We all have days like that. You're a bigger person for admitting it. A lot of people don't or won't.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread closed at OP request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom